Jazz Necks: American Standard or 1964 AVRI?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    As some of you may have seen, I am putting together an American Design Experience bass. I am debating the merrits of spending $200 more for a 1964 AVRI Jazz neck or builidng a modern bass with the American Standard Jazz neck. (I am putting it on a Precision body). I am familar with and comfortable on the American Standard neck, but am trying to figure out why the 1964 is $200 more? I know the radius is 9.5" on the Standard and 7.25" on the AVRI but I'm really not sure how much impact that has (or how to describe it).

Any experience you can share would be cool. Thanks! :hyper:
  2. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bueller? ;)
  3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Well, I've never played a '64 AVRI Jazz, so I can't speak to that. But every '08 and later Am. Std. Jazz neck I have is fantastic, IMO.

Like you, I've gone through a lot of Fenders over the years. When I gig (which isn't so often now that I'm older), I usually prefer a Precision. But the '08 and beyond Am. Std. Jazz necks are my favorite necks of all time. I really should try one on one of my P's sometime...
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I know it doesn't matter to some people, but over the past couple of years I've discovered I need a curvier radius on my necks. I prefer a 7.25" fretboard and I can play a 9.5" just as well, but a neck that is too flat is a deal-breaker. This is something I had to learn the hard way, specifically with a neck I used in a build I was doing last year. The neck, with it's 12" radius, just didn't feel "right" in my hands, but I didn't realize what the cause was until I took my Aerodyne (7.25" radius) with me on a trip. Getting re-acquainted with it was like one of those cartoony "lightbulb over the head" moments. All of a sudden I figured out what the problem was…the radius!

If the radius matters to you like it does me, then go with what feels most comfortable. If you're not sure, see if you can try out different necks at one or more music stores to see if you can figure out what's "right". If it turns out it doesn't matter to your hands, then go with what best compliments your build, either by construction, esthetics or some other factor that matters to you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks!