1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz or Bronco

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TeeZeeMee90, Jan 28, 2013.

1. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90 Supporting Member

I have been wanting to learn how to work on basses in general, but more specifically MY basses.

Right now I have my MIM Jazz V and little Squier Bronco SS.

I have been eyeing up some Quarter Pounders and honestly debating if I wanna supe up the Bronco or my Jazz (which is my primary bass). I have done wiring before but not on my guitars, so I am afraid to mess up my Jazz...and honestly I like the Bronco but there's some stuff that needs to be fixed to be "ideal" (i.e. pickup, neck needs something on it like poxy, and bridge is awful).

What do you think TB? Also, any advice on how to wire things up correctly would be great. And how to install a new bridge right. I think I can do the neck fine, I have found a few things on here about it.

Thanks!

2. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I'd probably mod the bronco. That is unless there is something that really irks you with the jazz bass.

I personally love my bronco, which I have decided to keep completely stock. I see where the pickup change comes in though, the pickup is weak and kind of an aquired taste. If I were to change my pickup I'd probably go with a lace sensor gold or red, I hear lots of good things about those; perhaps even a gfs rail pickup.

One thing I am going to do with my bronco is a fret job. other than that, I'm really impressed with this bass. The hardware works, but it is lackluster...

-Ron

3. TeeZeeMee90

Yea my tuners are junk :/ and the bridge is really iffy... It is nice to have the lower output because my amp tends to rattle the house haha, but I know it isnt "normal" when your jazz irks the neighbors. I looked at a QP for it, but havent checked those Lace one's so Ill look at that.

I think I will do the bronco, because if I mess up...well its a cheaper mess up haha/easy to get another template.

right now im looking at:
    Bridge, tuners, Pickup (maybe), and lacquering the neck somehow... I dont like the unfinished style.

4. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I found my tuners to be alright (minus one that I had replaced by fender) but it can be different for each individual bass. I played a few and chose the best of them all.

I'm not going to be changing anything on my bronco as I have way too many projects currently. But it is an excellent platform and I've been thinking about picking up another just to mod it... way too many projects...

As for tuners, I'd go for a full-size set of the clover leaf tuners, like the original musicmaster basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. OneAri

OneAri

I'm currently resurrecting a bronco I bought for £15 (about 25 USD), I've never taken a Jazz apart but I can vouch from experience and say the Bronco is incredibly easy to strip down, the quality of the electrics are a bit poor (mine is a 2005 model I'm not sure if that's changed over the years) but you lose a lot less messing the bronco up as opposed to potentially ruining your jazz.

Last thing if you intend to repaint/refinish it the lacquer is the thickest I've seen and will take a bit of effort to take off

7. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I agree with this. I'm not quite sure if things changed on the broncos over the years, mine is a 2011 that I bought brand new, but the electronics are a bit lacking. As with most things on the bass, they function, but they don't add any luxury.

8. TeeZeeMee90

Yea thats how I feel too, where my Jazz is fine as is...this little guy needs a booster shot!

I think it would be a cool little short scale to use for my punk moods and what not and then have my Jazz set up for the classic feel.

9. TeeZeeMee90

Any suggestions on redoing the PUP/electronics?

10. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

A blade (rail) pickup works great a Bronco. Something like a GFS Lil Killer will drop right in. It can be can wired up series-single-parallel for variety.

[​IMG]

11. TeeZeeMee90

was looking at that or this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-sls-1-lipstick-tube-guitar-pickup

or a Seymour Duncan QP, i know it will fit right in too.

Like i said earlier though, I have little experience wiring guitars...what would be the hardest one? :help: what do I need to look at getting, like new pots? or will it just go in?

12. FedericoC.uy

FedericoC.uy

Broncos are great to mess with, here`s mine mij mustang PUPs and musicmaster bridge

[​IMG]

13. TeeZeeMee90

NICE! Yea I started work on mine! I will post when it is done done.