1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz/P/Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassfart, Sep 2, 2012.

1. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

What is the best way to hook up this configuration? I want the ability to have all pickups going at once or individually.
  2. line6man

line6man

It's all personal preference. There is no "best."

Personally, I would opt for on/off switches and a master volume.
  3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I'd go with the wiring used on the Stu Hamm's Urge II bass, except I'd keep it all passive. I plan to use it myself, at one point.

Here's my variant of the wiring. I intended to start with a regular Jazz bass or clone and add the reverse-P pickup, but this will work with a regular P pickup, too.

[​IMG]
  4. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90 Supporting Member

I want to build a bass with JPJ setup and fill it with Nordstrand pickups.... the monies oh the monies it will take!
  5. nysbob

nysbob

I did that mod on 3 different jazz basses during the seventies. I wonder where they are now...

I went with VVVT on the old jazz plate and installed a strat-type output jack.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    The Urge wiring is so brilliant and simple. A pan and a 3 way switch, that's all you need.

You could also do individual on-off switches. But that's kinda 80s, so... :D
  7. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

That's kinda 60s, actually, that'd be the Bass VI wiring. Not that it's a bad thing - I quite like it, but I find this wiring just as elegant.

...it also started as a way to convert a 3VT P/J into a triple-pickup, so I wanted to reuse as many knob holes as possible. :D
  8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Supporting Member Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Well, the simplest way is to just use individual volume controls for each pickup, like this:
    I have individual controls for my 3-pickup Jazz (the one in my avatar). The big advantage controls have over switches is that you have a helluva lot more control over your tone. Instead of selecting on-off for three pickups or pre-set combinations, you can have one pickup full on and the other one or two pickups partially on, influencing the tone.

I also have a master volume control, which makes life easier. If you want to go with individual controls, you could go with a concentric master V/T to fit on a four-hole plate.
  9. antoniolopez90

I'm leaning twords 3 stacked volume/tone knobs right now for my build so I can keep it on a standard jazz plate but lots of good ideas here.
  10. line6man

line6man

That won't work unless you isolate the signal paths with resistors, and that will reduce output.
  11. antoniolopez90

:/ I knew about the resistors.. Not about the reduced output... Darn.. How significant is it?
  12. line6man

line6man

It depends on the values used, and the signal impedance. The higher the value, the greater the isolation, but also, the more loss. It's best to use trimmer pots to fine tune the resistance for the best compromise.
  13. antoniolopez90

That's very interesting. Never had heard of the trimmer pot application!
  14. corvettelover10

corvettelover10

wait, what does the 3 lines in the diagram mean?
  15. BlueTalon

Disclosures:
    Not necessarily. I have that configuration on my bass, and no loss of output.

The whole setup is three concentric V/T for individual pickup control, a Turnstyle switch, and a master concentric V/T. One of the Turnstyle positions allows full manual control of all pickups (the other positions are tone/voice presets).

That full control was something I really wanted. I presented the idea to a few different people, and Michael at Turnstyle Switch figured out how to make it happen. (I don't like taking "no" for an answer without a good reason, and something not being possible isn't necessarily a good enough reason. Everything is impossible before it is possible.)

If you want to explore the possibility of stacked pickup controls, I suggest contacting Turnstyle. I am extremely happy with the end result on my bass.
  16. antoniolopez90

Wow would you have a wiring diagram? Just wondering if what resistor values they used or if they used some other method to buffer the tones.
  17. line6man

line6man

Take a '60s stacked knob Jazz diagram, and add a third concentric pot wired like the others. Add a master volume if desired.

The traditional value used for Fender basses is 220k. Some have had luck with lower values, like 80k.

There are only two methods for isolating tone controls. Series resistance, and active buffering.
  18. BlueTalon

Disclosures:
    The best I can do is show you the guts. The pickups are all in parallel, and so the controls themselves are pretty standard. The Turnstyle switch is the black box where all the magic/voodoo happens. Michael at Turnstyle developed the circuitry on the switch to accomplish exactly what I asked for, and I think it's proprietary.

A word about the switch. At its core, it's just a six-position rotary switch. But it represents a blank slate -- or six blank slates, to be precise. My switch is set up for:

1. Full manual control
    2. P bass
    3. J bass
    4. Rick
    5. T-bird
    6. Overdrive

I have no idea how he does it. He likes a challenge though. Ask him about the BrozTone, if you are interested in knowing more about it.

[​IMG]
  19. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Something to bear in mind is the additional magnetic pull from the added magnets. You might find that you will need to set all of your pickups lower to avoid wolf tones. This will affect the tone, significantly. I'm not saying better or worse, but it will be different.
  20. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Clean wiring job!:cool:

Turnstyle presets(Rick, T-Bird, Overdrive)=varitone?