1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz pickup and a precision pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chetbassist, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Chetbassist

Chetbassist

I am a newbie, so this is probably a newbie question. I have a Cort Action, and it has two pickups, a jazz bridge pickup and a precision neck pickup. So does that make it some strange hybrid bass, or is it still a p-bass?

2. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

A combination of the P pickup and the J pickup is usually called a P/J Configuration. They're quite popular, especially in cheaper basses. So yes, in a way, it is a hybrid bass :D

3. Chetbassist

Chetbassist

Ok thanks I learned about p-basses and j-basses a couple of weeks ago and i saw my bass had both so I was confused

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Yep, what Dbt said. However…

I don't know if I'm in the majority or the minority, but I feel that if it's a Precision-style body, it's a Precision, regardless of the electronics or neck profile. I feel the same for Jazz-bodied basses. To put it another way, I'd call a Volkswagen a "Volkswagen", even if the engine and wheels have been changed or upgraded.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

But Leo added frets to make a 'Precision', so it could be intonated "with precision"-
    didn't say anything about pickups or shape...

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I own a Mexican made Precision Bass Special. Simply a P-bass with a Jazz pickup in the bridge position. Oh.. It does have a Jazz neck too.