Jazz pickup in a p/j

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Jan 7, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

So i have a matt freeman pbass with a seymour duncan quarter pounder spb3 pickup in it. I enjoy the huge presence it has. However, i wouldn't mind having the versatility of a jazz pup in the bridge. Which of the following would you jazz folks suggest? thanks!
  2. madmarvin

madmarvin

I have a quarter pound jazz bridge pickup in my bass. I used it with an SPB3 for years. If you like the SPB3 sound, the quarter pound jazz bridge pickup matches very well.
  3. johnson79

johnson79

I've got the same set up. Still working on setting it up since the cavity is super deep on my bass, but it sound great. Big, ballsy sound.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

just be aware that as a single coil it will hum.

my vote is to skip it, plenty of "versatility" in a plain P-bass.
  5. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

yep

not for some of us.

I think the easiest way to do a P/J is with active pickups.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

if you don't wanna go active there are a couple nice jazz pickups that hum-cancel by themselves without tone loss.

end-to-end double coils like the dimarzio area J or ultra J, or nordstrand and fralin offerings, will hang nicely with a P pickup (especially the really beefy ultra J) without humming.
  7. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

+1 on the Fralin split coil J bridge pickup. Sounds great, no hum.
  8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

You should look for a specific P/J set, before you start the J pickup swap game. Your choice of Jazz pickup may sound great on it's own, but will it play well with your P pickups?
  9. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Dimarzio PJ sets are my favorite. Slightly huger bottom end. Great for aggressive play or detuning.