1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz Pickup Placement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Urian, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Urian

Urian Supporting Member

Hello TalkBass,

I need your help.

My brother recently surprised me by buying me a bass as a graduation present. Throughout the building process he decided to tell me about the bass and include me in the decision making process instead running the risk of surprising me and me not liking the pickups/woods/fretboard/etc. Anyhow, I'm glad he did (include me) and with the newfound ability to "choose" I decided to have the builder build a singlecut "jazz bass" instead of his standard spec/pickup configuration.

I have a question: what are the exact specs/measurements in terms of bridge, bridge pickup, and neck pickup location/placement for a 60's and 70's jazz bass? In other words, I want to send these specs/measurements to the builder so he can double check the placement. Here is a picture of the build.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  2. Urian

Urian Supporting Member

Anyone?
  3. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

from fretboard edge of the nut to center of the neck pickup 27 3/4"
    from there to center of bridge pickup 3 1/2" for 60s position
    or 4" for the 70s position
    Bridge location : from nut to where the ball ends hook in about 36"
    nice bass, good luck!
  4. Urian

Urian Supporting Member

Thanks!
  5. millsbass5

millsbass5

Go with the best tone. 70's position. Don't worry about the 60's location. That pup placement doesn't work for singlecuts anyway...........

Seriously :bag:
  6. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

The placement of the pickups has absolutely nothing to do with single cut /or not.
    As far as 60 vs 70 goes, one is not necessarily better than the other, it's just different.
    If you are a slapper and want the Marcus Miller tone, absolutely go for the 70's position.
    If you play more finger style ( or you slap and you like the Larry Graham tone) the 60's position might appeal to you more.
    I used to swear by the 70s placement, but these days I'm playing Latin Jazz and Salsa and in recent years the 5 string electric with roundwounds is used in that type of music more and more. For that it turns out the 60's location sounds better.
    I hope that helps
  7. millsbass5

millsbass5

Did you actually think I was being serious?:eyebrow:
  8. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I don't know what you were but you were certainly not helpful to the OPs question.:rollno:
  9. markanini

markanini

If I ever build a bass I'll go with the 70s bridge PU position, except .5 [DEL]mm[/DEL]cm closer to the neck. Gives it that little extra low end that's sorely missing. At least that's what I found on my Hohner with a sliding pickup setup.
  10. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I don't even like singlecuts and that looks like an awesome bass. Pics mandatory when it's done! :D
  11. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

half a millimeter, you can't be serious? and I thought I was picky......
    Maybe that was a typo.
  12. markanini

markanini

Fixed.