1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz Recording Comments?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chris1125, Dec 2, 2012.

1. chris1125

chris1125 Supporting Member

Hey guys, I posted this on the double bass side too but I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on this recording. Last night I made a jazz recording of Winter Wonderland with a couple of friends. None of us had really recorded much before but I think it turned out pretty nicely. Comments/suggestions?

http://soundcloud.com/brandonsinkovic/jazz-version-of-winter

Thanks!
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely beautiful loved your bass and the guitar solo was very very nice I think the trombone should be adjusted so it sits in the mix better push it back some so I can hear the rest of you very talented musicians better congrats on a job well done.
  3. chris1125

Thanks, we were debating whether trying to find a drum player or not. We might add it but I think it works without it?
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

5. chris1125

No, it's pretty upbeat. We were going for a more laid back feel
  6. backup

backup

i like it very much. the mix is bad though. but nice playing
    dont dig the trombone tone. too smooth for my taste
    get a good drummer that can do subtle laid back things and improve your recording quality and youre good to go!
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

OK good luck with that.
    Have a blessed day.
  8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Well, OK. But there's more to a seminal recording by the likes of Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor that it should summarily be dismissed as "pretty upbeat."

Did you notice that after the head, which Mr. PC played largely in 2 (as you do through the entire piece in your version), he immediately moved to a walking 4?

Texture.

Your version was good; very good even. However, it lacked texture. What Ed linked to was an excellent example of how three of the best jazz musicians who ever lived created texture.

Your choice.
  9. chris1125

Yeah I think that's a good idea to go into walking. It's sort of one dimensional. I'll definitely try to incorporate some more contrast in the next one.
  10. chris1125

Any other suggestions? We may be recording again tomorrow. Most likely a ballad..
  11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

12. chris1125

Well I'm glad to say after winter break we did a pretty solid recording of autumn leaves that I personally mixed, will upload tomorrow. Looking forward to some more feedback!
  13. chris1125

Ok so we've been recording some more, got a gig lined up, and came up with a name. Just put up All of Me, Autumn Leaves, and Isn't She Lovely, featuring a violin friend of ours. How Insensitive is on the way as well. Please check out the recordings and let me know what you think. I played electric for isn't she lovely, not exactly my best instrument but I think it turned out okay for the most part.

Also, what do you guys think of the name 4twentythree? Inspired by the room number of the room we frequently jam in late night weekends.

Here's those recordings...
    www.soundcloud.com/4twentythree
  14. chris1125