Jazz Recordings With Jamerson On?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by paul_wolfe, Mar 26, 2014.

1. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Does anyone know of any jazz records with Jamerson on upright bass?

TIA
  2. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown has a track that Dennis Coffey recorded of them playing a jazz tune in a club. That's pretty much it, I think.
  3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

I have to also admit that even on my Jamerson Facebook page, nobody has come up with any tracks that I'm aware of. Other than Coffeys'... There are YouTubes of the San Remo Strings (Detroit Symphony members that moonlighted at Motown) that may have James on them, since he loved to do that occasionally, but it was mostly pop-adult contemp. stuff. I would LOVE to see if anyone does come up with some Jazz. Subscribed!
  4. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

There's an album by saxophonist Houston Person called THE REAL THING that has James on some cuts. (It's hard to make out exactly which ones though).

But I was wondering if more existed. Hence the thread.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

No Jamerson content here, but possibly of tangential interest:

there is a great jazz album on the short lived Motown subsidiary "Workshop Jazz" called Beat by the great Detroit drummer Roy Brooks (also known for playing a lot with Yusef Lateef and for being on some great Blue Note titles, and later on making some 70s and 80s "Spiritual Jazz" records as a leader). Eugene Taylor is on upright bass.

Here's a discography of the label, but "Beat" is the only one I can specifically recommend as I've heard it. I would certainly give that Pepper Adams Plays Mingus record a spin if I ran across it.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/workshop/workshop.html
  7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Well, James HAS been quoted as having a history with Yusef, especially very early in his career, and possibly through the 60's. Live, and possibly on record, so something may come up if that avenue is investigated. Hmmm.....
  8. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

I have everything that I know to have been released by Yusef as the leader up until about the mid 70s and a lot of his sideman dates as well and have never seen or heard of Jamerson on any of it. This includes relatively scarce records like '"Before Dawn" and "At Cranbrook". But there is lots of great music with great bass playing and anyone conducting such an investigation is probably going to come out happier than when they started.

If anything is unearthed in the future with that connection, I and my earnings would eagerly await the chance to pick up a copy.
  9. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Me too! I have cash ready... In the Standing In The Shadows book, he and the other Funks are said to have all played with Yusef at various times. Not surprised there's no known recording too. I'd imagine that live, that would have been something to hear!