Jazz setup query.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rickenmonster, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I've setup my J according to the Fender setup guide yet still have fret buzz on open strings. E& A mostly. What is my next step. Raise the action, bow the neck more-a Little of both?

2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

How many winding do you have around the tuning post and do the string have a good break angle?

3. pfox14

pfox14

Could be a number of things going on. Check that the strings are properly wound on the tuners so they are seated at the very bottom. Check the action at the 1st fret - if the nut slots are too low, then the action at the first fret may be non-existent (extremely low). If that's not it, then you may have the action too low.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Only on open strings and not on fretted strings? First culprit to suspect is the nut slot is too low. Fret the strings at the third fret, and there should be just the tiniest bit of clearance between the strings and the first fret. If the strings touch the first fret your nut is too low. Surprising because almost every factory nut in the world is too high. This of course assumes that the neck is consistently curved along the relief, and that the frets are level- neither of which I'd assume on a new Fender. They probably ARE consistent and level, but I would check it instead of merely assuming they did it right.

John

5. Register to disable this ad