1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz training

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Zorth41, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Zorth41

Zorth41

I have been playing bass for about 2 years now and really want to learn more about jazz bass playing, where would i start? Is there any excercise anyone knows about?

2. elgecko

elgecko

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

The link above is as good as it gets. Jamie gives a free book about jazz. It's a goldmine of information. Tons of great stuff. Give it some serious thought.

4. Zorth41

Zorth41

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

1. listen to ALL styles of jazz- from fats waller, to charlie parker, to miles davis, weather report, robert glasper, and all points in between.

2. get a good teacher.

3. good luck!

sort of kidding, but in reality, thats the only way. going through method books can only do so much.

7. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

It's never just a simple case of learning the style. With Jazz especially, you really need to listen to it in just the way you would any other style you like. Depending on the kind of music you listen to or like at the moment there'll be different ways into it. If you're a rocker then more modern fusion stuff from 70s onwards might be the way. At some point it's worth seeking out jazz from every period from dixieland and blues of the early 20th century through swing, bebop, cool jazz and free jazz. Eventually you'll find the bits you really like and at least discover whether you really want to learn how to play jazz.

As for the playing side of it you'll definitely need to learn to play walking basslines. From there you can move onto improvising solos. I'd advise you to learn chord construction and the basic arpeggios of triads and seventh chords at the very least and the basic scales (major, the minor scales, modes of major scale and pentatonic major and minor). You'll need this core knowledge to help you get a feel for the mechanics of chord progression which in turn is pretty much a requirement when trying to improvise a line through changes.

Of course I'm really only touching on what is a massive subject and it'll make more sense by listening and just getting a natural feel for the music.

8. GastonD

GastonD

I believe you will be able to find some valuable info on the subject at
    playjazznow.com
    and
    jazzeveryone.com

9. elgecko

elgecko

10. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Mike Downe's Jazz Bass Line book is a good read.

12. Spectrum

Spectrum

There is a book out there called "Building Walking Basslines" by Ed Friedland (I think).

It's a pretty good intro to improvising bass over jazz chord charts. I also recommend taking some lessons with a good teacher to get you on the right track.

Back when I was getting started as a teenager all I wanted to do was play like Geddy Lee but my teacher taught me how to improv over jazz and I am forever grateful. Learning jazz makes me.a.better rock bassist even though I have little interest in ever playing in a real jazz band.