1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz trios with bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Raudsarw, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Raudsarw

Raudsarw

I'm starting a jazz trio with piano and drums. Of course, traditionally you'd see a double bass instead of bass guitar, but I've only held an upright once in my life (Yesterday, in fact). Not as easy as I thought it would be! I'll start practicing double bass at my music school but that will take a while to get up to a decent level. So I'm wondering, are there any great trios with a bass guitar out there?
  2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Pat Metheney's first album springs to mind.
  3. Nu11nV01D

Nu11nV01D

I don't know if there are any GREAT trios, but I've performed at festivals and things with just a drummer, piano and myself, and I played my bass guitar. You just have to dial in the right sound. I use a passive Fender Jazz with DiMarzio jazz pickups and flatwounds.

It's doable!
  4. Lo-E

Lo-E

5. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

I've been getting away with it on and off for about eight years now. Admittedly not a piano trio; the jazz band I play with is violin, guitar and bass guitar.

Unless your other band members are adamant that you need to sound like someone-in-particular, there's no harm in trying to forge your own sound.
  6. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Wes Montgomery's brother, Monk Montgomery backed him up using a Fender Jazz.

Attached Files:

7. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

John Scofield's trio with Steve Swallow
  8. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I used to play trio and later quartet with Billy Davidow. See his Atlanta Knights trio at his site <www.atlantagrandpianos.com>

Initially with Billy, I played string bass, but as he used Fender Rhodes as well as grand piano, I coudn't afford a mic, etc.

I owned a Rickenbacker 4001 electric, so I used mostly used electric bass. I was a rocker working with hard core jazzers. What an experience. We remain friends to this day.

Jazz trio with electric basss??..YES, YES..YES.
  9. MD

MD

Michel Camilo w/ Anthony Jackson (among others).
  10. PostFusion

PostFusion

Try Happy Apple, very nice jazz band with an electric bass.
  11. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Headhunters w/Jaco...
  12. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

Trio Of Doom!!!

Jaco, matheny, and tony.

Doom indeed
  13. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

yup, it's ok.
  14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Jazz Pistols - German jazz trio with wicked good players.
  15. JimK

JimK

Good one...Bright Size Life.
    A lotta people also like Standards Zone...a late-period Jaco album with Brian Melvin (drums) & Jon Davis (piano).
  16. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Not jazz, but good fusion - Niacin. Dennis Chambers, John Novello and Billy Sheehan. A great inspiration for the own jazz/fusion trio I'm participating in - we're going for the similar drums-bass-organ approach.
  17. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

To me the upright is just a more traditional thing. A P or J with flats would work just fine. The upright isn't a must, and like you found out, tougher to play! There is one in my local shop and it makes me look silly everytime I try to play it. :D
  18. kevteop

kevteop

I think it's much harder to make a bass guitar fit in a jazz trio, but if you're really good it's possible. I'm not, so I started learning double bass. ;)

Good luck!
  19. karla684

karla684

Hiromi Uehara with Anthony Jackson and Simon Philips.
  20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Yah, what PACMAN said.