Jazz v precision neck pocket/heel shape

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by elBandito, Aug 30, 2013.

1. elBandito

elBandito

Are they supposed to be compatible? Fender usa p neck doesn't seem to fit in the usa jazz body. I understand the p neck is wider, but the contour of the heel doesn't look the same.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Should be interchangeable.
  3. elBandito

elBandito

it's an 08 p neck with a 2012 jazz body. The p neck fits like a glove to its original body, but doesn't fit in the jazz body. Did fender change the heel contour?
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it's not a USA jazz deluxe, is it?

those are totally incompatible.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elBandito

elBandito

Nope. Both 20 fret american std necks and bodies. I swapped the 08 precision neck with a 2011 precision in the past, and there were no issues. perfect fit. Had another 09 sunburst P, perfect fit. All 3 precisions had tight neck pockets, that there wasn't even a paper gap. When I bolt the precision neck on the jazz body, there's maybe a 1~2mm gap at the heel, because of the difference in contour.

I have a few genuine fender pickguards for the precision, and they all fit on the pbass perfectly without any gaps. Even the jazz pickguard has the same "pointy" contour like the J body neck pocket. When I compare the heel shape with USA std jazz body and jazz pickguard, there is a clear difference in shape between the p and j.

I'm going to take my precision and jazz pickguards to guitar center and check how they fit on 2013 AM stds. If they're all like that, I'll just keep a J neck on the jazz.
  7. elBandito

elBandito

I also noticed, starting from late 2012, AM std bodies don't have the donut routing holes under the pickguard and neck pocket, so there may possibly be some other changes. I'm just trying to find out if all jazz necks have the same shape.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I thought all the US models didn't have the route under the pickguard.....
  9. elBandito

elBandito

There have been a few changes over the years.
    08 p had "mickey mouse ears" neck pocket and super thin paint. Seam lines and grain are visible under the paint. 3 piece body. Routing holes under the pickguard. tight neck pocket.

09 p had regular neck pocket. Same routing holes under the pickguard. 3 piece body visible under sunburst. tight neck pocket.

2011 p came with slightly thicker paint and didn't get nicked as easily. Hard to see where the seam lines are. Looks like a 2 piece body. Seam line runs down the middle of body, glue line visible in neck pocket. Same routing holes. tight neck pocket.

08 jazz had a wide gap around the neck pocket. Returned it and didn't take it apart.

2012 jazz with 60s cs pickups. Seam lines are very visible. 3 piece body. No routing holes under pickguard. Tight neck pocket with jazz neck on. Other than the neck pocket, 08 jazz seemed better put together overall.

I don't think I'll be buying any more fenders for a while..