1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz with flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nicopiano, Oct 15, 2012.

1. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Since I'm on TB, I've seen at least 20 post talking about 'P with flats'.

What about 'Jazz with flats'? Is it a good match? What is your experience about it?

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Good Jazz Bass with T-I Jazz Flats=serious tone.

3. MR PC

MR PC

Joe Osborn, Meshell Ndegeocello, Paul McCartny, David Hood, Jerry Jemmott, JAck Casady and many more have made lots of great music with the j bass and flats combo

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have TI Jazz flats on my MIM Jazz with Fender SCN noiseless pickups and WOW what a tone. I'd say that the live sound it is the closest to a studio recorded bass I have heard, so far.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

My Sadowsky J4 w TI flats is extremely versatile, can be upfront in mix or under, depending on eq, playing style. Duo/trio gigs are fantastic, it speaks very well in quieter shows. Deep rich tone, not thuddy. In my 6 piece band it can roar with great articulation or provide that deep support, again, depending on eq and playing style. Does classic rock, new and old country, soul very well. I've said it before, TI flats constantly get me compliments on tone. P or PJ with TIs is also fabulous.

7. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

It's the sound of reggae to my ears. Fat, punchy and round, with some growl and all the finesse of a J.

Worked fairly well for Joe Osborn, too.

8. Batmensch

Batmensch

I have GHS Precision Flats on my Squier VM J, and they give it a good solid punchy tone. Very good for Classic Rock and blues, IMO.

9. mambo4

mambo4

+1 Ti Jazz Flats on my Lull Jazz Bass copy.
    3 or so years ago, switched to dr sunbeams for a round wound 'rock' sound.
    I spent time and money chasing an elusive rock tone only to be buried in the mix by guitar and kick drums.
    Then I pulled out a P-bass with Labella Flats for a gig or two and BOOSH there I was in the mix.
    So I wen tack to Flats on all my basses.

With flats you give up a ounce of higher frequencies (typically used up for guitar tone)
    for a pound of low mid tone that's all bass guitar.

10. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

One of my favorite Jazz Bass with flats tones is Bee Spears with Willie Nelson on Austin City Limits, 1974.

Another one of my favorites is Ben Kenney from Incubus, particularly on the album Light Grenades. And of course, Jo Osborne with Simon & Garfunkel is a tasty Jazz/Flats tone.

HOWEVER, I've really been diggin' D'Addario Tapewounds on my 5-string Jazz-type (Squier Standard Precision V, Jazz electronics). I HIGHLY recommend giving them a chance.

Here's a pic of how awesome they look :D

[​IMG]

11. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

12. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I'll add another vote for Jazz + TI Jazz Flats

13. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

My vote is for Jazz + Chromes.

14. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for a Jazz w/Chromes. I found the string tension of the TIs a little floppy for my tastes. They sound a little odd at first but once they break in they're all kinds of creamy.

That said, I've gone back to DR Sunbeams on my Hwy One. I've found that for alt-country a set of well-worn Sunbeams (like six months old) does the trick for me.

15. dbd1963

dbd1963

Because of this thread, I just swapped my month old Chromes from my P to my Geddy Lee Jazz to see what it would sound like. And MAN is that a tasty tone!

16. Marial

And that's why multiple threads on the same subject aren't necessarily a bad thing. :D

17. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Been diggin' on GHS Pressurewounds lately. Someone mentioned there is some aspect of their sound that resembles TIs, and I had just noticed that the day before he typed it, so I'm not hallucinating. Sure wish they had a full range of gauges so I could put together a balanced set. I'll probably try anyway. And fail.

18. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

To my ears TIs are pretty weak sounding on a Jazz Bass. Traditional flats (GHS Precision medium gauge for example) sound great, however.

19. gary m

gary m

+1 on GHS Precision Flats. Simply the best strings for Fender basses and their assorted clones and copies in my opinion. They sound a lot like the old Mapes flats that Fender used in the 50s and 60s.

20. Marial

Might have to give those a try. I haven't used GHS strings in years because they're the only brand I've ever used and broken strings.

21. gary m

gary m

Speaking from my own experience, I've never has a GHS flatwound string break on me. For the price, GHS flats might be the best bass string out there for those that like flatwounds. They're certainly worth trying out if you've never used them before. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I know...LaBella fans won't agree with me, but to each his own.