1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazzy Christmas Tunes?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Journey55, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

Anyone know of any Christmas/Winter Holiday Tunes that are jazzed up? Or just any song that works for the winter-time. If this is the wrong place to be asking please redirect me, thanks!

2. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

There are about three thousand jazz versions of "Winter Wonderland" and Mel Torme's "The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts Roasting on an open fire...). Both lend themselves well to the genre. Check out "God Rest You Merry Jazzmen" for a great example.

This is about the only Christmas music I can stomach anymore. :)

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've had a theory for quite a while that there are really only about 25 Christmas songs and just about every artist does a cover of them.

4. othefool

othefool Supporting Member

Check out the Charlie Brown/Peanuts Christmas album. One of the coolest, and jazziest, Xmas albums ever imho.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Ray Charles, do yourself a favor and find the album "Spirit of Christmas" you will not regret it!

7. JimK

JimK

Jazzed-up...
    Acoustic-
    Wynton Marsalis- Crescent City Christmas
    Jingle Bell Jazz- various acoustic Jazz
    Verve Presents Christmas Jazz- various instrumental/vocal acoustic Jazz...Coltrane playing "Greensleeves"...nice version of Bill Evans doin' "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town".
    Yule Struttin': A Blue Note Christmas...various Blue Note Jazz.

Electric Jazz-up Christmas...
    The Yellowjackets- Peace Round
    The Flecktones- Jingle All The Way
    I really used to like GRP & its releases...these have a mixture of Acoustic/Electric Jazz'd-up Xmas-
    A Christmas Collection Volumes 1, 2, & 3. Corea's Electrik Band hammering out "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" should be an attention-getter.

Big Band-ish...
    I like Diama Krall (Christmas Songs) & any of the Harry Connick albums.

For Pop-
    The Jackson Five (A classic) & Chicago have cool stuff.
    ...don't forget about Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas".

8. sforzato

sforzato

My favorite is Carol of the Bells. You can Jazz up anything. Here is one I did on guitar last year as a chord melody.

9. stingbear

stingbear

Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" covered by Silje Nergaard on the album "If I could wrap up a kiss".

Really groovy :)

"Christmas Time Is Here" on the same album is very beautiful as well.

10. stingbear

stingbear

Thanks for this! Can't believe I've never heard of Vince Guaraldi before :O

"Skating" is just... genious.

11. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

Hey guys thanks for all these songs! (I'm a big Vince Guaraldi fan) however I was looking for songs that would be better suited for a Jazz Quartet (Bass, Drums. Piano, Sax) thanks!

12. dalkowski

dalkowski

If Charlie Brown isn't the gold standard, it's close. Check out the Verve compilation "Have Yourself a Jazzy Little Christmas," or "Hipsters Holiday" on Rhino. If you can find it, Starbucks put out a nifty collection called "Stockings By the Fire" a few years back.

As stated above, you can jazz up anything. Worry less about finding songs that translate directly into a quartet, and instead listen to find inspiration and ideas you can work from. That's kinda the idea behind jazz...

Good luck and cool Yule!

13. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    It's a solo piano CD, but "A Dave Brubeck Christmas" could be adapted for quartet if you can cop the tunes by listening. Although they aren't what you're looking for, two of my favorites are big bad treatments: Stan Kenton's "A Merry Christmas" (1961) and Robb McConnell & the Boss Brass: "Big Band Christmas" (1998). The Kenton CD showcases his mellophonium band, and I guarantee you won't hear anything else like it, ever. McConnell's is more straight ahead jazz, but it's a keeper. Also in the big band mold, there's "Mel Torme Christmas Songs."

And I have to recommend "Klezmer Nutcracker" by Shirim. I can't describe it, but it is both hilarious and sublime. As the name implies, they tackle Tchaikovsky as well as a few classial non-Christmas tunes.

14. trothwell

trothwell