Jazzy tone without single coils?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MEKer, Dec 8, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Opinions on what pickups give a good deep, yet clear, jazz tone and are not single coils? I mean ones that are inherently of that voicing, not just tweaking my EQ.

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    There are a number of hum cancelling products that imitate single coil voicing on the market. DiMarzio makes a few. I replaced my stock MIA Fender pickups with their "Ultra Jazz" models. No complaints about loss of tone or loss of hum.;)

3. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Ultra Jazz pickups don't sound anything like a single coil Jazz.

4. Unrepresented

Media:
    They are missing the hum. The rest is close enough for my needs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

I was trying to refuse my self to think that, because i dropped them on my jazz, they sounded nice, but now i'm realizing that indeed they are not the same :bawl: now i want a Aguilar 70's winding with single coil structure

7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I guess the single coil sound isn't for you.

I just bought a set of Fender Super 55 pickups for a project bass. I'm told they sound very close to single coils. I'll know for sure, soon. I've always just stuck to singles--apart from the Ultra Jazz--and never soloed either pickup.

8. Unrepresented

Media:
    I think there is probably more tonal difference with the shift to ceramic magnets than with the hum cancelling design.

I play primarily with a "single coil" bridge pickup favored tone.

9. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I'm sorry, but if that were the case, there would have been no need for the Area J design. I'm glad you like the Ultra Jazz pickups. I used them for a couple years. In the end, I preferred the single coil sound.

EDIT: I just remembered using Sadowsky HC pickups in that same bass. They also sounded good. I didn't keep that set either.

10. Projectile

Projectile

It's possible to wind a single coil pickup to sound similar to a humbucker, but it's difficult to make a humbucker sound like a single coil. The reason why is that having 2 coils wired in parallel halves the inductance and doubles the capacitance, lowering the frequency of the resonant peak into the upper mids. Some pickup makers try to compensate for this by doing things like underwinding the coils and using ceramic magnets to boost the output, but it never quite sounds the same IMO.

11. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

I swapped out the CS '60 Single coils in my 2012 Jazz in favor of Nordy NJ4SV's. They sound surprisingly similar, the most noticeable diff being a much bigger bottom with the Nordys, while the CS 60's had better string balance and a touch more growl.