JB Antigua FSR expert calling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Babystrad, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Babystrad

Babystrad

Hello you kids out there,

I consider a JB Antigua FSR.

But, mind me, I'd love to go naked. I.e. without pickguard. Only to consider that, the routing/cavities would have to be perfectly neat, like on a Jaco. Or Squier fretless.

Is that the case with this one Antigua FSR body?

Have you, proud owners, removed the pickguard and experienced the cavities? Please let me know.

I'm eager to hear your experience.

Thanks for your input regarding this matter.
  2. veebass

veebass

I wouldn't say I am expert, but I have one.
    Very nice Jazz Bass actually- correct 70s bridge pickup position, good sounding pickups stock, neck feels like a 70s Jazz, without the binding. Probably a bit lighter than some of the original ones out there.

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

But.....you will be very disappointed if you intend to go without a pickguard. The pickup routs are well done but there is also a CNC rout under the guard.
  3. Splods

Splods

You could probably put a pick holder over it
  4. veebass

veebass

Yes you probably could.
  5. Babystrad

Babystrad

Hi Veebass, thanks for the answer. You mean that coin size hole is there like the MIM 70's reissue and the rest is fit? That not so bad news. Better than the WWI sort of "hide yourself in it" surprise cavities. Not the wahoo factor for those who remove their pickguard And find those ;). I might throw in a coin in it actually. And live with it. Thanks to you two guys for the input.

Now question no2 if you bear with me- would it make a nice fretless? With frets removed, or option 2, with a new fingerboard. The reason I'm asking this is I found a (poorly) defretted one. Oganise some repairing or get a new neck is the question.