1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

JBL 2226

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Old Fart, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

I hope this thread is in the right forum. What about the JBL 2226? It is very expensive. It looks like the frequency response falls off after about 1000hz, although it still may be acceptable up to 3K. It is a low-frequency driver, or at least it looks that way.

7.6mm Xmax
    4" voice coil
    15-lb magnet assembly
    Maximum excursion before damage......40mm!!!

Anybody have experience with these monsters?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It's going to take one big box for this puppy to breathe properly.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It's a subwoofer.
  4. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I used a pair of JBL 2226's for bass in the 90's. They do sound very nice. They can take a lot of abuse too but still sound nice.
  5. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I put a pair of 2226H's in a Sunn 2x15 cab many years ago and they worked surprisingly well. The box was too small for optimum tuning, but then again (according to Harvey Gerst), even the venerable JBL D140F seems to work best in a box smaller than its T-S parameters would suggest.
  6. Old Fart

Old Fart

The box would be a TL-606 design.
  7. Humbled

Humbled

JBL 2226 was a ubiquitous Sound Reinforcement driver from probably 1995 to 2005 or so before Neodymium and line-arrays really took over. It is a 600 watt driver with a noticeably less colored sound than the 300 watt E140, as the 2226 is considered an SR driver where the E140 was marketed as a "musical instrument loudspeaker".

I have never blown a 2226, having worked 17 years for a live-production provider that was heavily JBL at the time, and I still own (I think) 18 of them in my personal gear (wedge monitors and subwoofers) that have taken some heavy abuse. It was/is a great and very popular driver, but may be fairly considered heavy and bit old-school nowdays.
  8. Loud and Clear

Loud and Clear

Disclosures:
    Pro Gear Manager, Loud and Clear, Inc.
    They are still in production.
    JBL uses them in their install line array systems, from a performance and durability perspective they are still about as good of a 15" woofer as you can get.
    Very versatile; certainly not a subwoofer but will work acceptably as one in a dedicated subwoofer application.
    With it's strong extension through 1Khz+ and it's exceptional power handling ability, an excellent stage monitor driver, particularly in a bi-amp configuration with a compression driver.
    Not real picky about enclosure volume and has been mentioned, as tough as nails.
    That "nearly bulletproof" attribute, combined with it's application flexibility is why the 2226 continues to be a staple in the professional production world.
    I suspect that the $503 retail M.A.P. and to a lesser degree the old school "heft" is why the 2226 isn't very often mentioned in the amateur DIY world. :D

I've never used one in a bass guitar MI application, but as the posts here from those who have would indicate I have no doubts it would sound great.

We still have a slew of 2226's in wedges, but I may have them "on the block" in the next year or so as they see relatively little use anymore. In-ears have pretty much become the norm even down to the weekend warrior ranks.
    However I suspect they will be a staple in the install world for quite a while to come.
  9. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Also on the 2226 and the 2206. They are the exact same motor (magnet and voice coil) just different size. They are the best as far as I am concerned.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I have three 2205 drivers, each having been re-conedwith 2225 kits, The chassises were bought very cheaply in that state. One is ceramic and the other two AlNiCo.

I tried the Ceramic one in my B15 just for interest. I think the original CTS sounded a bit better.
  11. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I remember the JBL 2206. I used 4 of them in a custom made 4x12 cabinet for bass guitar in the 90's - they are absolutely awesome.
  12. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

I have a smallish 2x15 cab loaded with 2225's. I like it very much. But I have to dime the mids and cut a bit of bass. No real high's at all. I play old school and it suits my needs very well. If you need a bright tone these are not for you. The 2225 are low frequency. Supposed to be part of a crossed over PA set up with mid driver and tweeter.

Apperently the 2226 is just a vented version of the 2225. See here:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?22220-Differences-2225-vs-2226
  13. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I think there's a few more subtle differences between the 2225 and 2226, according to the JBL tech document referenced in that link: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v1n18.pdf

The power compression curves are quite different (less for the 2226).
  14. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Thanks for the info. I probably should have prefaced that I only "kind of" know about speakers.

I'm sure there are peeps here that can help a lot more. I do have a bit of experience playing through the 2225's though.
  15. Loud and Clear

Loud and Clear

Disclosures:
    I would say there are more than a few rather than "a few more". :D
    They are more dissimilar than the model numbers might infer.
    I personally think 2225's were great drivers, and am a fan of them, however using an early 80's 2225 really won't give you much insight into the capabilities and characteristics of the current 2226.

The motors are very similar, with the exception of the vented gap VC, but tonally to my ears the 2225 has a deeper bottom than the 2226 overall, and the 2226 sings a little better in the mids. The 2225 (IMO) sounds a bit more "organic" or maybe "warmer" than the 2226.

But the biggie is the durability. The primary reason that the 2226 is still being manufactured, and why it's so well regarded in the big leagues is the insane amount of abuse it will withstand, the power it will handle without breaking a sweat, and how solid it sounds and performs while doing same.

It's a different class of driver than the 2225.
  16. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Awesome info...great to know.
  17. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

i know of a set of plans for home audio speakers that pair a 2226H with a compression driver...would love to build them and am always on the lookout for a pair of 2226 drivers but have had no luck just yet.

i also wondered how they would do setup as a 215 for bass. guess i know now, probably not quite enough high end response for me.
  18. Loud and Clear

Loud and Clear

Disclosures:
    I may be liquidating some professionally used and maintained 15" woofers and 18" sub woofers; 2226's, 2225's, 2241's, 2242's, EVX180B's, etc. in the 1rst quarter of 2014, but they usually go real fast.
    In fact, most will probably be sold over the phone to some of the other production houses we deal with before I send a general email to regular wholesale customers and brokers.
    If you want, I'll put you on the email list.
    Just sign up at:

http://www.loudandclearmusicstore.com/vip.html

New 2226's are available, but they would be $503 from me just like anyone else. The Harman "MAP Police" are quite diligent... :D