JBL PRX 7 series?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Thumper, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

The band is retooling the PA. In exchange for giving up wedges and buying our own IEMs ( PSM900s) the PA owner is paying for mains. Since he is a big JBL fan (currently using 20 year old 15" passives), I haven't been able to convince him to go to K12s, He will, however go for PRX712s.

Regarding subs, this band has never run them (it is a low volume classic country, classic rock band, electric lead, acoustic-electric rhythm, restrained drummer, I've even dropped my volume ) but I've convinced him to go with a sub. Since we are low volume, would the PRX718LF suffice (instead of running 2 subs)?

Since the K18 isn't highly regarded, perhaps JBL is the way to go after all?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have PRX512M and 612M mains and PRX518S subs, and they work perfectly for me. The PRX700 series is a major step up - they have cooling fans and more DSP on board. If I were going to upgrade, I'd probably go with the PRX, but I'd take a hard look at the QSC stuff - they have even more usable features than the new PRX cabs.

I think one PRX718LF would suffice for most venues. You may need two for outdoors or large venues. I'd cluster them if you have more than one, BTW,

3. Thumper

Thanks Munji, you're speaking to the choir RE the QSC stuff! :)

If we have to eventually move to two subs why not a 15 now and maybe another later (if needed)? After all, the original goal was to shed weight, seems like adding a 70 or 80 lb sub or two is counter-productive.

4. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I don't know how good 15-inch subs are. I had some Mackie 1501s and they didn't really cut it for me. My old EAW SBX212s (unpowered) weighed 105 pounds each, and I had to lug about 60 pounds of amps for them, so 80 pounds of powered sub ain't so bad. BTW, the EAWs are some of the best subs I've heard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    pRX 612's rock. If the 700's are better they have to be good! i also have K10's and a KSub. that setup is very good, very compact. in larger rooms or outside, the QSC's are mains, 3 prx's on the floor. In other settings 2 of the prx's are mains, with the 3rd and the 2 K10's on the floor. I'm adding another sub either a pair of KW181 or another KSub...gotta do
    some demo'ing

7. Thumper

So in a large room you use the 10s? Why not the 12s?

8. modulusman

modulusman

If you are getting the JBL tops then get the matching subs. They were designed to work together. I played a gig a few weeks ago where the soundman was using the PRX712m and either the 15 or 18 subs it sounded great.

9. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I spent a lot of time choosing between the K12's and the PRX712 a week ago. I went with the K12's but I felt pretty even between the KW181 (not ksub) and the JBL sub. KW181 is more compact and dj's do like them. I do agree that pairing all the same brand is probably a better way to go.

If you want max thump out of one sub and can help your sound guy, 1 Yorkville LS801P would get the job done.

For pricing, Pro Audio Star beat out everyone including shipping at the time.

10. Thumper

Thanks all, we'll check out Pro Star, I'm guessing you have to call for good pricing. I have been quoted $2,600 for 2 PXR712s and one 718lf no tax or shipping

11. 1Drop

1Drop

seems like a decent price. we paid more for our 612's and the xlf sub. I'm a huge fan of this system, works great for our 6 piece funk and reggae band running one sub in venues up to 250. We are thinking about getting the new 7 series as well. Keep the 6 series for rentals and for outdoor shows where we would double up with the 7 series. Seems like they are similar enough to not be much on an issue when paired up, or??

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    K10's on the ksub is a more capable setup the the PRX 612's on poles.

The 612 goes deeper, smoother than the k10. The K Sub changes that. The 612's rock as monitors in that setup. The 612's were an opportunistic buy for me. I was aiming at a pair of K12's when the 3 Prx's popped up. Glad they did.

For thet QsC stuff try RMC

13. headband

headband Supporting Member

I have both the PRX618S and PRX618XLF subs, and both are great. The 618s actually gets more use. For many venues we just want to add a little low end support. We found that the xlf is more than we need in those situations. Our drummer loves the punch of the kick drum with the 618s. We use both in larger venues. For what you are playing, and the fact that you have JBL mains, I would look carefully at all of the PRX subs. you may find that one of the less expensive alternatives will meet your needs.

14. Thumper

This was my thinking as well. The drummer has a great kit, NAAM custom DWs, as I've stated is very restrained and as good as I"ve ever played with (kind of freaks me out at how much attention he pays to what I play) . His bass drum is a 22" instead of a 24" so punch is his tonal goal. I play a P5 through a composite Thunderchild 115 which has an Eminence 15LF, I have extreme punch with massive low end bloom so I need minimal if any low end support. We're only considering subs because people smarter or more experienced than us say we need 'em.

15. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    You would be doing yourself a favor by calling Northern Sound and Light on the JBLs. I got my PRX612s shipped to my door for over $140 each less than what GC sells them for.

16. Thumper

Will check them out as well as rmc

17. Thumper

1 more question before we pull the trigger.

When using a powered system (i.e. JBK or QSC), how is the signal sent to the mains (using a 1 sub system) so that xtreme lows aren't sent to 12" mains? Is a separate crossover or limiter needed, or do the mains have one built in to keep the bass drum from blowing a speaker?

18. headband

headband Supporting Member

I use the crossover in the sub and then run out of the sub to one main, through it and then over to the other. I like sticking with one brand-they seem to integrate better. I also have a dbx driverack and can use its crossovers but find the sub crossover works just fine for us.

19. Thumper

What brand are you using? Reading literature last year (can't remember the brand) it said the sub passed through the sound unchanged. That sounds like a recipe for damage to the mains.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    The QSC sub has the lpf built in and passes full range to the K tops. The K Tops have a switch that engages the hpf. My PRX 612's do not have that sort of thing built in so an active crossover would be necessary - note that functionality could as easily be on the Sub or have been added to the 700 series. Time to read up!

21. Thumper

Downloaded manuals, the subs have a hpf or full switch, hpf at 120 Hz. The 15lf frequency response is 44-91Hz, the 18lf is 35-87Hz, internal xover is at 90Hz. The HPF is at 120 Hz. So what happens to 91-119Hz, are those frequencies lost?