JBL PRX 715s vs PRX 712s ! Difference between 12s & 15s? REVIEW Pending

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Tunaman, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

So we are a 5 piece band, keys & a guy that can be a 2nd keys or guitar as needed. We have female vox. We have a Mackie 1500 series sub. We run bass, drum kick, keys through the PA with the crossover from the active sub. We are ordering in the next day or 2 as our PA is toast. Not interested in suggestions of other models UNLESS you've A\Bd them vs the JBL PRX line. ;)

We want to play some outdoor venues so I was thinking of getting the 15s for more bit more volume but really more long term durability. I keep hearing 15s dont produce as good a mid content as the 12s as a VERY general assumption. They say vocals will be better reproduced by 12s. Personally I'm not a true believer in a 12 sounds like x & 15 sounds like y but...

Any truth to that in these particular models?
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I'm just a layman when it comes to sound but, sure, I've heard that, generally speaking, 12" speakers are better than 15" for vocals.

We did a couple of gigs with this sound company last summer, using their VRX gear. They used 12" speakers on the poles. They sounded terrific.

[​IMG]

We work this fabulous club one weekend a month, all Meyer gear, with dual 12" speaker cabs for the FOH hanging arrays. Although that is a dual 15" cabinet at the top of those arrays.

[​IMG]

That being said, my rather modest personal PA has dual 15" speakers (3-way cabs). It sounds quite good for its intended purpose.

[​IMG]

I think you'll be just fine with either. But the general consensus is that 12" speakers may sound better, but you also may need more of them to push the same amount of air (volume).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

I found a thread where you an I were interested in Carvin powered speakers-did you ever check them out?

From mixing both 12's and 15's, I have found it easier to mix vocals with 12's.
  4. Tunaman

Appreciate the input guys.

I expect the 12s to sound a bit better but the guys want to buy speakers that are going to last & project for outdoors so it looks like the 15s will be ordered tomorrow. I'd prefer that they go down & try em at guitar center. I think they still may & I'll get a report which ones they like if they do.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    The 615's go a little deeper, throw a little further. 612's disperse more broadly and to my ear are more balanced. 612's over sub(s) would be my choice for the gig's I do.
  7. Tunaman

Appreciate the response. I wasn't able to get to the store & the band leader is going to buy em for himself so ... its in his hands. Looks like they will get the PRX715s. I would have loved to have heard em before but it aint my money! I just play bass :bassist: :D Review to come !
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    They'll do well and for you, the price was right :)
  9. Tunaman

Ends up I'm going to Guitar Center to check em out
    They will match RK audios price for a pair... $1549

RK audio JBL 715 PRX double pack

RMC audiodirect was also willing to do it but couldn't get them in on time after our PA just broke. JBL has em backordered. I REALLY wanted to use RMC

I'll get a review up after I try em out at GC then report on gigs as well :bassist:
  10. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Everything I have read about JBL's and when I hear them in person tells me that they sound nice.

Those look classy too.
  11. Tunaman

ITS REVIEW TIME !!

Got a great deal all lined up, they are in stock with our name on em... going to do a quick sound check vs the 712PRX since I'm there... WOAH, Stop the presses!!!!

715PRX has a TON of lows, a super ton. We run Shook Me All Night Long through em. The Bass is kicking, the vox are a bit behind in the mix, a tad muddy & indistinct but the speaker kicks, its loud, its punchy. 712PRX kicks on & the vocals IMMEDIATELY jump out of the mix, guitar in front. Still getting some low end kick, its a TAD back in the mix but overall very balanced mix as 4mal said. Singer is a chick, couldn't hear much of a difference but it was clear as hell to me

Now I have the singer cue up some Karaoke & sing over it. IMMEDIATELY the singer jumps back when she hears herself with the 712PRX. Jumps right out of the speaker. The 715PRX is a bit muddy, feels almost hidden in the speaker & in the mix of the music. Its a no brainer which one sounds better for her vocals the 712PRX by a landslide

So the questions are obviously... will the 715 improve with a 32 band EQ & a sub? I call the technical support of JBL who had emailed me about a prior question that day. He says the 12 with dedicated subs are ALWAYS going to project that vocal range better no matter what you EQ or crossover out or into those 715s.

Winner is... in a landslide... the 712PRX with subs. :bassist:
  12. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I know which one I'd rather carry and lift onto a stand. :)
  13. Tunaman

Geez! Never saw this

I ended up getting the Behringer B212Ds for monitors... selling them as of today. Nice little speakers for what I needed but I dont need monitors as of now.

I'm thinking of buying the 718XLF sub for the band. The reviews I've gotten from people in the know say it blows away the 715XLF. People WANT to love the 715xlf due to the weight but the sound quality suffers pretty good from what I've been told.
  14. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

I bet that kicks...I had some bad luck with a JBL PRX 18" powered sub that went into fault and twice GC (where I bought it) never could fix it. I ended up getting credit for it.

I do have an 18" Carvin powered sub which has been very portable and has nice kick/bass thump for it's size. I would like to pick up a second one though and put them together for just more thump.
  15. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Just checked the specs of that sub...way powerful, but pretty expensive too. You do get what you pay for (mostly) though.