Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BornboreD, Mar 16, 2014.

1. BornboreD

BornboreD

Grabbed this vinyl the other day based on reputation alone. Unbelievable bass on this record. Totally made me go on youtube and look up other albums Ralphe Armstrong played on.

Any other fans care to discuss this record?

2. Richland123

Richland123

One of my favorite fusion records along with many of his others

3. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

Used to play the Art of Happiness in a band a long time ago. Great album and great bass player.

4. Indiedog

Indiedog

Phenomenal album. Great bassist. You should have seen the tour...THAT was amazing! Zavod was hot on keys. Daryl Stuermer and Joachim Lievano were an amazing pair and yes, Armstrong was a monster bassist. Ponty was/is a tremendous player, composer, and arranger. I got to chat with Steve Smith after the show.

Those were the good old days!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

There is a live album from that tour that also contains a killer solo from Ralph.

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Great album. Fantastic lineup of musicians!

8. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Ralphe Armstrong is tremendous. He was one of the earliest fretless players starting with it back around the same time as you know who did.

Another great JLP w/ RA album is Cosmic Messenger. Egocentric Molecules rocks.

Bass solo at 1:30 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFQyqJNwFI8

9. Indiedog

Indiedog

You are right about Cosmic Messengers. Most of JLP's albums are superb. He always has fine players.

10. MixBass

MixBass

Disclosures:
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Great record and Holdsworth makes a huge impact.
    I saw the tour as well, amazing!

11. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Also check out Apocalypse and Visions of the Emerald Beyond by Mahavishnu Orchestra. Ponty on the first, Armstrong on both, IIRC.

12. Indiedog

Indiedog

There was such a great "core group" of progressive jazz people in those days. Ponty played on so many great records.

13. BornboreD

BornboreD

Visions of the Emerald Beyond is one of my all time favorite albums. So good.

14. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Ponty is on both of those albums. And those albums are absolutely killer! Great writing, great playing, great sound.

There was a third Mahavishnu Orchestra album with the Ralph Armstrong/Narada Michael Walden rhythm section, Inner Worlds. Didn't have Jean Luc Ponty, didn't have the horn section or the string section or the London Symphony Orchestra, and the writing isn;t quite as strong as Apocalypse or Visions... but holy god gawd y'all do those guys smoke!

If you want to have a good laugh, check out this Ralph Armstrong-penned ditty from side two of that record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxemCkIFFig

(That's Ralph on lead vox!)

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Vital Information came to MKE and among the crowd was Daryl- I don't think he and Steve Smith had seen each other in quite a while.

Lenny White & Freddie Hubbard were in town in about '78 and after they finished, Joachim Leivano, Jamie Glazer and Don Blackmon sat in with the band Daryl left, to join Ponty's band. That was some of the best playing I have ever seen.

16. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I think Ponty played with Zappa before Mahavishnu.

17. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Ponty was also McLaughlin's choice for violin in the first Mahavishnu Orchestra before Jerry Goodman, but wasn't available.

18. Indiedog

Indiedog

The mid to late 70's was such a great time for this type of music. The live shows were stunning.

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I have it up there with my favorite fusion records. Ralphe is a bass GOD, both athletic and melodic in his playing. I saw the band on the following tour. Holdsworth and Stuermer were gone, but Lievano was outstanding in his own right. Very complimentary style to Ponty IMO.

20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Crazy good. I saw Brand X, JL Ponty, Weather Report, Bruford, Return to Forever, Sea Level, and of course the Proggers like Gentle Giant, Genesis, King Crimson, Starcastle, ELP and YES.

I wish I saw NOVA though. Brilliant stuff! I'm FB friends with some of their former members.

21. Bim1959

Bim1959

Disclosures:
    Sales & electronic tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA
    They played a show at Augustana College in Rock Island IL not long after this album was released. The simple description in the ad was "jazz violinist." You wouldn't believe all the blue hairs that showed up in tuxes and long dresses that looked down on my gf and I for showing up in blue jeans. He was so freaking loud that it drove out maybe 3/4 of the crowd. Those that stayed (there were a decent number of us that had heard him on the pirate radio station KFMH 99.7 which you can find on Ustream and Tunein Radio) got to hear a fantastic show.

All his musicians were extremely good and top notch.

Ponty has played with a number of good musicians. His face is on the cover of Elton John's "Honky Chateau" album and he also spent some time with Frank Zappa......