Jeep Wranglers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Anyone here a fan? I've always liked the little buggers and I'm thinking of buying a used one for my next car.

I'm single and have no kids, I'm fairly handy with tools, don't really care for lift kits or off-roading. This will be used mostly for city driving. I know they're not practical, but I've made lots of practical choices in my life, and practical choices make for boring stories.
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Find one you can drive a bit. They are simple machines to maintain but the handling is not for everyone. You drive them. Full time. No texting, no phone calls, no changing radio stations. You simply have to pay 100% attention- all the time.

I'm looking for an old rebuildable one. They are fun as heck as a second or third option.

Rollovers are not boring...
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Jeeps ar damn cool, man. Driven quite a few but haven't owned one. Singer from my band from 20 years ago had one and managed to figure out how to haul th PA systm in it. (This is not a joke, he actually owned and hauled PA gear, and he was the frontman in the band).

Good point above...it is a machine that you operate as one....you drive the machine, you don't just "ride in it while pushing pedals and turning wheels".

Short wheelbase + high stance means more choppy ride/different forces at play, etc. To me, that's all cool stuff, to others, maybe not so much.

If I could afford to have a cool, second vehicle, in addition to my bread-n-butter one, a Jeep would be competing, and beating, some muscle cars, etc. I couldn't use one as my one-and-only though. Especially long trips would turn into more suck and less fun after the first couple hours.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I towed a Mastercraft PS-190, tournament ski boat with a CJ once. My old K5 was down... Boat weighs way more than the Jeep... About 4 hours, stupid but... smooth water was calling... Indy to Dale Hollow, TN... The curves on I-64 in Louisville... Were a wake up call... I was taking up all 4 lanes plus the sidewalks... I think it might gave been Elizabethtown when I relaxed... again. That was a CJ. Made the old Blazer look like a proper tow vehicle. That takes some doing... Probably one of the dumbest things I have ever done. Nobody got hurt by the grace of god... Well at least not beyond the typical waterski weekend and bouts of truth or dare and tequilla on a house boat :)
  5. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

I'm not sure why think them not practical for a single guy in the city.

I'll tell you this: parallel park and U-turn a jeep a time or two in a tight space you'll never want to drive anything else.
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I wouldn't have one for driving any distance. Fuel guzzling too.
  7. carl h.

carl h.

A buddy of mine wont be without a Jeep as his main driver. He tried for a while and ended up buying a new Jeep as well as finding his old Jeep ans buying it back too. He keeps them bone stock and drives them everywhere.

His backup cars are a Miata and a Cayman, but these can rotate to other things. The Jeep is his goto rig that he wont be without.

If I didn't need to lug kids, dog and luggage, i'd be driving one too.
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I would own one if I didn't have to commute. They drink gas.

lowsound
  9. bmc

bmc

You donts see many over here. With Land Rover holding down the market, Jeep's are not popular. Jeeps are far more comfortable, cheaper to fix and excellent off road machines.
  10. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

I had a Wrangler TJ for several years - I sold it before I moved here. Everything said above is pretty spot on - owning a Jeep is about like becoming a parent, everything you do in life pretty much revolves around how your Jeep can handle it.

My best advice if you get one: take out the back seat and install a lockable trunk - makes shopping trips and life in general much easier. And then you have room to add a sound system to counter all the wind noise at high speeds and just generate more Awesome Factor when you are going down to highway with the top down, the doors off, and your leg hanging out the side while blasting Iron Maiden :) .

[​IMG]

Peace,
    Greg

Attached Files:

11. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

I love mine!

Wife drives a Grand Cherokee.

Here in Colorado I'd say it's Jeep country, they're everywhere.

Subaru's too.

[​IMG]
  12. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
    Having a Wrangler is a lifestyle choice, like owning a motorcycle. Don't forget to wave!

We had a 2 door Wrangler, just got a 4 door one in December.
  13. groooooove

groooooove

one of my friends got one right after sandy, when his car flooded and literally floated away..

two weeks to the day later, he bought a subaru forester that he still has now. sold the jeep a little while later.

it was fun for the first day, in his words. after that it's just miserable to drive- not to mention 8-10 MPG. for city driving? no off roading?

get something else!
  14. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Mine gets 18-19mpg city and around 26 highway.

I love driving it. I got the 6 speed manual. The short wheel base is excellent for tight spots.

Just be careful on the ice. They can do 180's in a blink of an eye if you're not.
  15. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

^^^^
    Just a wee tad of exaggeration.

I have a 2006 Wrangler that I bought new. It gets more like 14 mpg. Mine has the 300 inline six and a six-speed manual transmission, 3.73 axle ratio. It is not miserable to drive, although mine is more of a farm vehicle than daily commuter. I've put dang near 9,000 miles on it already. :p
  16. carl h.

carl h.

Now, , it is possible that is what he was getting. He must have been cruising around in 4lo and redlining it.

Some people have no business in Jeeps or trucks.
  17. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

It's hard to beat a TJ with a 4.0. Stay away from JK's with the freedom panel top unless you don't mind relentless unrepairable water leaks. Or 3.6 pentastar engines with cylinder head issues.
  18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

we used to have the big outback wagon, which was good for the dogs and gear

it might be fun to get a jeep to keep out in the desert at the other house, but the tacoma just seems like it's a lot more easy on gas and maintenance than a jeep would be
  19. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

My dad has a 1999 Wranger, I has whatever liter the 4 cylinder is in it and manual. He has had it around 8 years now and loves it. All I can say is have both a rag top and a hard top. Hard top for the winter, rag top for the summer. I think they are fun because we kayak a lot and made a trailer for it and its a great rig for all that outdoor stuff but its not fun on the freeway.
  20. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. I was kind of expecting a few "mid-life crisis" jabs ;)

I threw the idea at my "stick in the mud" brother, and he surprisingly liked the thought of me getting a Wrangler. It seems all the pros are inline with what's important to me, and the cons I can deal with. I'm really looking forward to test driving a few.