1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jeff Andrews!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by joe vegas, May 28, 2011.

1. joe vegas

joe vegas

It would be a great thing to get Jeff back onto people's radar.

I met him at a jazz school in Boston in the 70s and stayed friends back in NYC. He's a smart, classy guy who just shreds the bejeezus outta bop and Stern-jazz tunes.

While he may not have a current project to promote, he's seriously overdue for some fresh recognition. There's a lot of excellent Stern Trio clips on youtube, as well as his stuff with Brecker, Vital Information etc.
    Dig:

YouTube - ‪Jeff Andrews _ Bass Solo 2‬‏

YouTube - ‪Jeff Andrews - Bass Solo 1‬‏

2. randy clere

randy clere Supporting Member

@JV - yeah I totally agree... I was always curious as to why he chose to slip out of the spotlight... While he had monster chops, he always played what the music demanded and no more... Tasteful solos and rock solid groove.... Jeff,.... where are you?

3. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Hey Ive loved Jeff's work forever, stern, vital info etc. Can you guys tell me about the jazz (precision neck) or whatever bass that is that he uses. He is such a great player incredible phrasing and tone. Is he still at Manhattan School?
    I love his work that first solo that OP put up is so sweet imho how a jazz bassist should sound when soloing. Beautiful phrasing and lyrical solos. Wow. I love Jeffs work and think he really had/has a unique voice in the bass world. AS a jazz bassist (fretted 4 string) he is one of the few electric jazz bass players that has seriously affected my music and style).

I love hearing great bebop bassists!

4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

"Chose"???

Did Jeff really "chose" to slip out of the spotlight?

Was Jeff ever even in the spotlight in the first place? He's a dedicated, talented JAZZ musician...I didn't even think there was a spotlight for those! :)

From what I can see Jeff is getting just as much visibility now as he was in the late 1980s...which is to say, very little except amongst other bass players and jazz fans. He's certainly under the radar of your typical NAMM-show virtuoso (sic) fanboy, but diehard jazzbos know where to find him.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ardent15

Ardent15

One of the greats obviously, since he's played with so many heavy hitters in the jazz world.

Been listening to him recently. Great stuff.

7. joe vegas

joe vegas

((...but diehard jazzbos know where to find him.))

hoover- where exactly would that be? a few of us are looking to create a new buzz about our friend, alert our critic and reviewer connections to go and hear him, etc, so if you have info, it would be appreciated.

8. pbass888

9. joe vegas

joe vegas

10. pbass888

Joe Do you know how to get in touch with Jeff? Is he on Talkbass?