1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jeff Beck and ZZ Top to Tour Together this Summer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

That seems like an odd pairing; Beck being a fascinating musician who is always changing his style/approach to music... and ZZ Top, who have been trotting out the same tired stuff since I was in high school. I guess that they are both old gives them something in common (???) - -

I did once see Jeff Beck "open" for Santana. I watched Jeff, left after 3 Santana songs.

3. warnergt

warnergt

I think it could be interesting. Jeff Beck does a lot of exploring.
    It might be good for him to get down to some basic rock.

I saw that Jeff Beck/Santana tour, too (early 90's?). Santana
    invited Jeff Beck out to jam with him. Jeff Beck declined.

4. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

It is an odd pairing, IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52

ZZ Beck will be appearing here in Eugene on this tour.

What about Rod Stewart and Santana on the same bill? That's coming here too. Seems kind of odd.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I guess they are just figuring it will attract old farts - which it will... but Jeff Beck deserves better. He should attract EVERYONE who loves music of any genre. And he puts on a great show.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    So people aren't allowed to listen to more than one tiny sub-genre of music? Beck and Gibbons are contemporaries, both great players, and a lot of people will be exposed to Jeff Beck who probably have no idea who he is (unless they're musicians). What's odd about that?

9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I wonder if Beck still has Tal with him?
    She is worth the price of admission alone..

10. joe vegas

joe vegas

i saw that tour, a gig at Felt Forum NYC. Beck blew my mind yet again that night, and i couldn't bring myself to stay for Santana's thing after full immersion in brilliance.

11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

My Dad and I are thinking about catching this. My Dad and I caught the Atlanta show of the Brian Wilson (and Al Jardine and David Marks) and Jeff Beck tour. We had a great time. My Dad was always aware of Jeff Beck, but like most non-musicians didn't really know any of his stuff. He was very impressed and really liked it. The Beach Boys are his favorite band so he of course loved that. My main concern is the ZZ Top set being a lot of backing tracks and pre-programmed stuff. Anybody have any insight/opinions on that?

12. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Beck and Gibbons both love each other's playing, I think it will be a great show.

13. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Oh man I would love to see Jeff Beck. I saw him only once and I think my age was approximately 13 give or take...