Jennings J-22 .22LR pistol

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GlennW, Feb 8, 2014.

1. GlennW

GlennW

I'm thinking about getting one of these just for a cheap plinker/fun gun, an earlier pre-Bryco version. They get tons of bad press, but I'd like to hear from people who have owned and shot them.

And no matter what anyone says, the little dude with the sword looks badass. :bag:

2. Veritasmench

Veritasmench

They are junk. (I have had two)

You will have more frustration than fun. Save up an extra few bucks and buy a used buckmark, Ruger or any number of revolvers in .22

You could spend 100 bucks on a gun that doesnt work or a few hundred on one that does.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Did yours have the horizontal sliding safety, or the up and down sliding safety?

4. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    In my experience, if you get one of these, you end up with a decent paperweight.

Agreed that you are better off with any number of available options.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GlennW

GlennW

Alright, y'all talked me out of it. Maybe I'll Dremel sword dude on the slide of my LCP.

I would like a .22LR that's about the same size as a .25ACP.

7. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Pretty sure that Beretta makes a tiny .22lr (Minx?). S&W Made one in the past, not sure they still do.
    There's the Walther TPH.

There's also the Taurus PLY22 Pocket Pistol. You might want to search out "pocket pistols" or similar... (edit: there's also the Beretta Bobcat, of which the Taurus is a copy. Also, the Minx is .22 short. my bad.)

8. GlennW

GlennW

I think it's a Bobcat. I looked into those about a year ago.

And the Taurus version of the Bobcat really sucks, from what I've read.

9. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy The sea refuses no river. Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, Jennings is a flaming pile of poo. Take a look at the Beretta 21A if you're looking for a tiny .22

10. Ironbar

Ironbar

These things are garbage- literally.

Save up some money, buy yourself a nice Ruger Mark II, Mark III, 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. Shoot pistol for the rest of your life with no malfunctions.

Another .22lr pistol that's been getting good press, and I've had the pleasure to shoot is the Beretta U22 Neos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_U22_Neos

I guarantee this pistol is a lot easier to break down and clean than a Ruger Mark pistol, and it's less expensive too.

11. GlennW

GlennW

Isn't that the Bobcat, Bobcat 21A, with the flip up barrel? I decided against that, and forget why. It was about a year ago.

12. GlennW

GlennW

They're too big, I'm thinking about a pocket pistol size .22LR.

I've had a Ruger Standard and MkIII, and shot Buckmarks. They're not even close to what I want.

13. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Gold Supporting Member

14. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Cargo pants are the clear solution here.

15. scottz0369

scottz0369

I've had a Neos for 5 or 6 years now- it has been 99% trouble free for well over 2500 rounds, and I've got no complaints about accuracy. I had my eyes on a Ruger 22/45, but I got the Neos in trade. I had intended to sell it and get the Ruger, but I liked it enough to keep.

The Neos is far too big for a pocket pistol though. My pocket pistol is a Ruger LCR in 357 magnum. They make a 22lr version too.

16. DeathFromBelow

Yep, you know it.

17. GlennW

GlennW

You cats just aren't hip to the Saturday Night Special mojo. :D

18. DeathFromBelow

Man, that Ruger 22/45 looks like fun!

(And yes, we do play with guns here in norway too. I've had a stainless Ruger Mk II, a Ruger GP 100 .357mag, a S&W 686, a CZ 75 9mm and a stainless Colt 1911 Officers Model.)

19. GlennW

GlennW

I had a blue Colt OM for a while, beautiful gun, but that recoil spring was a PITA. It wasn't all that light either. I still have a Combat Target in matte black, it isn't going anywhere.

20. DeathFromBelow

Haven't been an active shooter for a while, so I've never heard of a Combat Target before. Just googled it, and it sure looks sweet. Is yours stock, or have you had any work done to it?

21. GlennW

GlennW

100% stock, except I cut away the wrap around part of the grips that covered the front part of the frame. They look like regular grips now, and fit my hand better. I did send it back to the factory to have them fix the trigger pull, it was very flakey when new. They were made for a year or two around 1996-97.

Edit: not 100% stock, it has a Clark? one-piece guide rod for the recoil spring, and I swap recoil springs to suit the load I'm shooting.