Jenny Lee Lindberg of Warpaint

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by yawnsie, Sep 14, 2011.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

I'm right into these girls at the minute and I'm impressed by the bass playing. On songs like "Elephants" the bass reminds me of Eric Avery, on Ritual de lo Habitual-era Janes Addiction - it locks tight with the drums to make a pattern that's big and atmospheric but still gives the guitars a lot of space. That's just four notes repeated through a lot of the song - less is definitely more here, kids.

There's also some nice use of double stops and droning open strings (I believe, anyway, although I'm welcome to be put wrong) on "Undertow", and have a listen to how tight the rhythm section is on the middle part of "Composure". Again, it's a big sound without being overpowering or show-offy.

Oh, and she's lovely too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd love to go on a nice Autumnal walk with her. We could hold hands and discuss the respective merits of fingerstyle playing versus picks. (They're called plectrums here in England, obviously, but I'd had to ruin such a nice day by disagreeing over something so trivial and would accommodate her on this.)

She even does a pretty good Columbo impression:

[​IMG]

Lovely stuff all round, I'm sure you'll agree.

2. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Met her in Edinburgh on the afternoon they were performing at the Queen's Hall. Great show and she was really friendly.
    I've been wondering exactly what it is that gives her distinct sound, she has a '78 Ric, Ampeg SVT CL and I know she uses a Way Huge Pork Loin, but it sounds to me like there's light chorus on there too. Whatever it is, it certainly sounds lovely. She's got a great partnership with Stella too, check this version of "Elephants" "Elephants" by Warpaint Live Session (Presented by Noisevox) - YouTube for a huge jam at the end and Stella showing what she can do!
    Steve

3. Alison1323

Alison1323

I've been dying to meet her, hopefully I can find a way at this desert daze festival I'm attending soon...