1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jerry Scheff with The Doors

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Sep 5, 2012.

1. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Love his playing and tone on the L.A. Woman album....the bass sounds real up front in the mix too.
  2. miles'tone

miles'tone

Me too, been chasing that tone for years! In fact I always have that album on in the car when I'm driving to a gig to get in the mood, no matter what style of music I might be playing. I do prefer the original mix though. I feel the bass suffers a bit on the 40th anniversary remaster.
  3. Mike M.

Mike M.

I've been a huge fan of the Doors since the first album. Those guys knew how to write and how to arrange great songs. I've always loved the tone of the bass guitar when the Doors used a bass player. The bass tone on the "Strange Days" album (Doug Lubin?) just kills.

But it's all good regardless of the album or the player used. Great tones from all the instruments.
  4. jbednarski

jbednarski

I read Scheff's autobiography mostly to see what he said went on behind the scenes at those sessions but he barely gave it one page of text! Great book anyway, especially if you're into Elvis.
  5. JimK

JimK

6. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Wow. Thanks for the info JimK. I, too, love the playing on the record. Way back in the day when I first started taking lessons, I had my teacher show me how to play the title track. So fun to play. Nice string-crossing exercise, too.