Jerzy Drozd Ultimate Setup Guide question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by selowitch, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

I really like the Jerzy Drozd Ultimate Bass Setup Guide, but I find myself wondering why he appears to not include a single word about how, when, or whether to shim the neck. What do you make of this omission?
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Shimming the neck has nothing to do with a basic setup. I am pretty sure he mentions taking it to a professional if you cannot get a setup but it has been a long time since I actually read the thing.
  3. selowitch

But the document is called the "Ultimate" guide, not the "Basic" guide.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Because he makes basses that are through body so he has taken this for granted. Nobody is perfect. He's also not from around these parts. English is his second language. He does give a fairly concise explanation of the mechanics and physics involved though... and radius guages... cool.
  5. selowitch

No one's saying it isn't a good guide. It is. But for it to be "Ultimate," it ought to be comprehensive. And it's not like he's never heard of (or that he didn't intend the guide for) bolt-on basses like Fenders before.

I wanted to post a question about shimming to his Forum, but to my irritation, I couldn't register because one of the questions to verify you're human doesn't have a clear answer. He says, "just put the word," but that of course is ambiguous. So since I couldn't post to the Jerzy Drozd forum, I thought I'd try good ol' TalkBass.

Am I truly crazy for expecting at least the shimming process to be *mentioned* in a setup guide that calls itself "ultimate"?
  6. 96tbird

I guess he forgot the statement "No guarantees offered or implied" .
  7. selowitch

Guarantees are irrelevant.

Instead of offering lame excuses on behalf of Mr. Drozd, why not just say, "Yeah, maybe he should consider mentioning shimming in a future edition."

Speaking of future editions, he promised to publish updates to the guide, but AFAIK he hasn't posted one since the Guide was first published in 2009.
  8. 96tbird

I not offering excuses, your whole thread, since you have now reduced it to name calling, is lame drivel.
  9. selowitch

i find your remark to be unfair and needlessly confrontational. There is not a single instance of "name-calling" on my part. Maybe you ought to look it up.
  10. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    It's a free online resource. I guess it's not 100% comprehensive, but it's pretty great to have all of that information in one concise format for free. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth! ;)

But sure, while most wouldn't consider a neck-shim a part of a basic setup, yeah why not include it in any future updates. In the meantime, thanks to Drozd for putting together such a nice free resource. :)
  11. 96tbird

Needlessly confrontational.
  12. selowitch

Look, guys, it is precisely the fact that it is indeed an excellent, free resource that makes the non-mention of shimming all the more frustrating to me. Obviously, I'm not getting much sympathy here, and that's a bit of a disappointment. :scowl:

Offering mild criticism does not make me an ingrate.

Thanks to Scotch for issuing an appropriate and sensible response!
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.