1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

JHS Color Box: a Neve console in a stompbox

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by adamsmatthewj, Jan 17, 2014.

1. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

2. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

I'm skeptical... but interested. Hopefully enough people will buy in to them and give some feedback. Otherwise there's only one way to know for sure, and I'm not quite ready to dive in right in. Maybe later in the year.

How much are they? Went to the JHS site and there is no product page for it, just a teaser image.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

Since you couldn't fit a true Neve channel strip into a pedal that size, I'll put myself in the skeptical camp.

With that being said, it might sound great, and that's far more important than being true to whatever it claims to emulate. Here's hoping it's a winner, but Neve-in-a-box it's not.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For one thing, JHS makes mostly average clones, and there's an outsized amount of hype for what the pedals actually are.

For another, this follows a common and annoying pattern in my niche: for practically every comp pedal containing an optical component, they advertise it as being "just like the famed LA2A" or "just like legendary studio compressors that made all your favorite records". But obviously those pedals are NOT just like an LA2A or whatever. Just having a similar circuit design, or a similar component, or a similar knob layout, does NOT make the pedal sound like the original device.

I'd be delighted to find out this new JHS pedal beats the odds and isn't just a bag of hype. :)
  5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Waiting for Bongo's review.
  6. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

It has my interest from purely a design perspective. Wonder what kind of circuitry is in the signal path. I can't tell much from the video but I see some discrete transistors and IC's...but that doesn't mean much. There is a transformer, but again, that doesn't mean much when I don't know how it's used. I hope that since they are mentioning vintage Neve, the 1073, and the 1081 that at least some of the signal path is class A or has a discrete amplifier.
  7. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

With ya there! He'll tell it like it is.

Like I said before, I'm not usually much for preamp pedals (I have really good pickups in my bass for a reason) but to me, this is at least an interesting idea, and really different from most of what's out there. Strikes me as being on the same train of thought as like a Reddi or something. (Not comparing them, just giving example). Interested to see if they're on to something here.
  8. fasto

fasto

"don´t believe the hype" ... i´m very skeptical but also interested ... no price - no GAS
  9. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

One was used in a recording session I sat in on recently at sxsw. It distorts/ drives great!
    Definitely a nice color box. Used it on a buss for the drum kit.
    Of course it's not a Neve, although apparently the design has copies of a circuit.
    Another tool for the tool box...
  10. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

If the 'Color Box' turns out to actually be 1/10 as impressive as the ad copy pushing it on their site, it will be a 'must have' pedal.

Odds are it's not just another way over-hyped, top buck pedal - right ????

Also, I just noticed the pedal has a line drawing of a console on the pedal in case you need more convincing.
  11. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

If anyone has read anything by Rupert Neve discussing his audio designs, you would see this guy is in the very rarefied stratosphere of audio design.

His knowledge and attention to detail, nuance and quality is almost unbelievable.

Hence, the huge price tags for his hardware and the attendant admiration of the professional recording community.

So this pedal isn't just a 'copy of a circuit'. Someone is apparently trying to cash in on a legend.

No offense intended.
  12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Maybe, I really don't know- i'm assuming that's what the hype is all about. Behringer copies Midas circuit designs and sells them for pennies on the dollar in comparison- cheap labor and components, yes but the ripped off designs are the same.
    It's not priced like a Neve, and I really wouldn't expect it to be one.
    But, from the JHS site, a bit of description:
    "We used the same topology and discrete gain stage found in the Neve* 1073, but we have two gain stages in series instead of one. We use a high quality Lundahl transformer "

Design copy.
    Bottom line regardless, the Color Box sounded very cool when I heard it in action. Worth the price of a pedal for sure.
  13. fasto

fasto

U$ 399.00 .... mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh