Jim Hall and Red Mitchell....

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Finally, a cut from "The Record". No longer in print, but considered by many to be the greatest guitar/bass duo in history. Live from Sweet Basil in NYC.
    Gorgeous.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

I'm one of the many.

3. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I wish that more of this stuff would show up, like the new tracks from the Bourbon Street trio gig....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

7. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Oh man. I feel a Red Mitchell binge coming on.

I get waaay too much pleasure from hearing the glasses clink and stuff. I'm a creepy voyeur like that, I guess.

Pretty song I'm not familiar with. Ooh, Jim's chunking things up.

Everybody see this great interview w/ Jim Hall?

8. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

According to the liner notes, "Blue Dove" is a traditional Mexican folk song.

About Jim "chunking things up"......to quote Red Mitchell: "Jim Hall is a great little band".

For a look into the history of Red and Jim, here's a clip

9. one4dabass

one4dabass

Thanks for sharing that and giving all these fascinating explanations!

10. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Dont have much to add but if you haven't taken a listen to "the Bridge" by Sonny Rollins w/Jim Hall.......woof, he is cookin on that album!

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Fantastic. Jim Hall represents everything I love about melodic jazz improvisation - not even a trace of ego or wankery of any kind. As for Red, I'm really sorry I never got to hear him play live. It's not any one thing that he does that blows me away, it's just the spirit of what he does. You can hear that he's totally immersed in the music to the point where you can hear the music laughing, smiling, and crying all at the same time.

It's this kind of playing (from both of these gents) that picks me up when I start to wonder (not often, but on bad days or after particularly bad gigs) if playing jazz is worth the trouble. After hearing this, I know that it is. When the music is really, really honest like this, there's just no question.

12. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

Jim's left knocks me out. I have seen him live. He uses pretty light gauge strings and his G is really light. I think he use to change it out for an unwound G, which in jazz is unusual. He uses his G as a transition string. He's able to play multiple notes going up and down while only picking the string once.

13. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Red wrote a tune alluding to this concept of using less pluck and more left hand and making it sound very even on all the strings.........it's called "One long string".

14. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Man, listening to that Jim Hall/Red Mitchell/Carl Perkins clip.. such beautiful music.

15. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Here's a two track clip from the same side. "Stella" is first but @ about 3:13 is one of my favorite tunes, "Deep in a dream".

16. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

cool thanks for these clips---diggin it

17. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

18. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

After Red passed, I did some gigs with Roger Kellaway, who hooked up with Red in the final years for duo performances and recordings. It was fun for me because we played some of Red's tunes. I asked Roger what was the single most impressive musical value he got from Red and he said his "focus". This clip's a good demonstration of that, for sure. Red was fond of trading phrases, rather than 4's or 8's but can be very tricky in terms of not stepping on one another.
    I have a side with Jim and Red where they both stop at the same time in an exchange and both come in with the very same idea in unison in the same register.

19. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Right! The same kind of thing just about happens in the Joe Pass/Red Mitchell clip I posted. On listening to it I found myself just drawn closer and closer to the speaker as the trading went on and more and more surprised/amazed at their exchange of ideas/phrases. Roger's totally right about the focus Red had (and I'd say another impressive musical value of Red's is just how free he was with everything he played).

20. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Ive seen Jim Hall play, he could barely walk but when he picks up the Guitar he comes accross with incredible energy, he is amazing!

Thanks for sharing.

21. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I finally got a chance to check this stuff out on my nice headphones. Holy crap, what a pretty sound. I'm gonna check out the rest of these links as the night goes on (I'm at work). I really like this song. It's so pretty-pretty.

Checking some of this out, gotta say, that album cover from the Stella recording is AWESOME.