Jimmie Vaughn's Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Feral Feline, May 18, 2012.

1. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Just saw a current rig rundown of JV's gear and whilst showing off JV's Strats, over the tech's shoulder in the background was a bass sarcophagus. Later in the same rig vid the doublebass appeared on stage in the background.

I did a TB search, searched JV's website and came up empty. (I find it annoying when the stars don't acknowledge their supporting musicians, moreso when it's an artist I respect and have to lose some of that respect. Unless he's got a different backing band in every town, JV should give props where they're due.)

Who's the bass player for JV right now? Thanks in advance...

FF

2. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Didn't even know he had one. :) He didn't when I saw him opening for Clapton, but that was 10 years ago or so.

3. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

JV would be an extinct musician if he wasn't carried by the family name which was earned. He can't sing and his playing in inadequte even for the bar scene. He is a classic example of "not what you know, but who you know".

Not a bitter comment, just an observation on a typical reason as to why a more deserving player didn't get the same spot. When reviewing the Clapton Crossroads concerts as both an attendee and a consumer, Ron Wood was also a complete waste of space. I have worked with some wonderful guitar players over the years and that door just never opened for them. It's a shame and a consequence of not being able to quote the above. The best talent never gets a recording contract. It never did.

4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I have to agree with Aussie. Jimmie Vaughn is a very average player and vocalist. I have to wonder if it were not for SRV, Jimmie would not be as well known as he is.

Back on topic. When I saw Jimmie Vaughn at a festival back in the late 90's he did not have a bass player! The keyboard player was playing the bass parts with his feet. It kind of turned me off to JV because I felt like he was putting a bass player out of work! If he's still using the same setup then he doesn't have a bass player.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Couldn't disagree more, but whatever the case he should acknowledge his bass player (if he's got one).

7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

8. pgk

pgk

well, you know what they say about opinions....btw ronnie james weber is jimmie's current bassist

9. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

I agree and Ronnie Wood got his gigs cause ha has great hair not chops.

10. lefty007

lefty007 Supporting Member

Man, I love Jimmy. I've been a fan for a long time. I particularly like the sound of his records, the drum sounds and his drummer. Those records with no bass player are great and have great bass sounds and lines. I happen to like organ bass. I think Jimmy has an unmistakable sound and voice with uncanny character. He had a great career going with the Fabulous Thunderbirds in the '80s before he did the "Family Style" record. I'm sure being SRV's brother helped his career, but to me he's got more than enough talent on his own. IMHO. His last to records feature a bassist, mostly upright for what can hear.

11. T Bassman

T Bassman tysonmaiko.com Supporting Member

IMHO, its the understated style, and phrasing of Jimmie that is the key to his greatness. After all, what would one expect him to do, try and 'out lick' Stevie or something?

A careful study of JV's tone alone bears evidence of far more below the surface, kind of like a musical iceberg to me. Its safe to say he knows what he's doing, and to be honest, I love all the left hand organ bass on his records a' la Jimmy Smith, and find myself copping a lot of those moves simply for the unique note duration.

Point being, JV may not be a flashy guitar slinger, but his stuff still bears study, 'bassist' or not. I would LOVE to see him live with a bass player though, just to catch the different vibe it would bring out compared to keyboard or organ bass!

12. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I like Jimmy Vaughn....saw him years ago at the Long Beach Blues Festival and thought he was excellent. I have a one of his cd's with "organ bass" and it works for that type of music IMO.

13. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

JV's BASS PLAYER!?! :eek:

Yo, gang! Listen up – I asked for the name of Jimmie Vaughn's BASS PLAYER, not whether you think JV's capable of filling his brother's boots. :rollno:

I happen to like JV, his brother, Duke Robillard, The Fab Thunderbirds and a bunch of other stuff; If you don't like it, fine, :spit: but that's not what I started this thread for. I don't mind off topic banter, normally, but at least take a stab at the topic after posting OT.

ALL I'm asking for is the name of his current bass player, so please don't fill up the thread with "Jimmie's whammy bar is smaller than his brother's" nonsense. :rolleyes:

There was a flightcase for doublebass backstage and a DB on stage next to his amps. One could presume he might have a live bass player joining his current endeavours. Thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute to solving the mystery of JV's CURRENT BASS PLAYER. :help:

14. CindyB

CindyB

I met JV's bass player when my band opened for JV, but I'll be darned if I can remember his name. He was a really nice guy and a great player. He was the only one of JV's whole entourage that was friendly to us. I thought the doublebass was an old Kay, but it's actually a very beat up Engle.

15. hangman

hangman Certifiably Used

Answered back in post #7.

16. TinIndian

TinIndian

I saw Jimmie back with the Thunderbirds when they were supporting the Tuff Enuf album. To those that are saying he wouldn't have been successful without Stevie, Jimmie is the one who was successful first. The Thunderbirds had were doing their thing several years before Stevie even did the Bowie album. as a couple others have said he is not a flashy player but he plays very tasty licks and has just got it. He just played in town here about a month ago but unfortunately I couldn't make it to see him. I was fortunate enough to see Stevie before he died and really there is no comparing the two. Apples and Oranges in their approach to the instrument.

17. CindyB

CindyB

Bingo. That's the guy. He just introduced himself as Ronnie.

18. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Jimmy Vaughn is the real deal. There is something so spiritual and primitive about his playing that makes it extremely cool. Supposedly, he is the one that taught his brother.

Those posters ripping into him, all I can say is WOW!

This is why I get so fiesty on this forum sometimes, because I am 100% convinced that a majority of the posters on this forum no nothing about music, yet flap their big mouths all the time here acting like they DO know something.

:spit:

19. lefty007

lefty007 Supporting Member

Your question was answered in post #7. What's the fuss about letting people keep talking about Jimmie?

20. CindyB

CindyB

Jimmy Vaughn was a jerk to the sound crew, the club staff, and the opening act when I saw him. I was a member of that opening act. I don't expect headliners to socialize with the openers, but they don't have to go out of their way to be jerks to them either. As to his performance, it seemed "phoned in" to me. It seemed consistent with the amount of pot smoke coming out of his bus. His band, on the other hand, rocked it and gave the (small) crowd a good show.

21. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

+1, I heard about Jimmy before Stevie, to a lot of people Jimmie is the more authentic blues player. What's next around here, a what was so great about Hubert Sumlin thread?;)