1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jimmy Buffett is Worth $400 Million

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Supporting Member

I guess slow and steady really does win the race...at least sometimes.

3. hgiles

hgiles

4. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Good for him! Millionaires make the world go 'round no matter what you heard on the news.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

I'm not surprised. I'm not much of a fan of his music, but I've gathered that he's pretty sharp at business, & I'm a fan of that.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Jimmy has his name leased to so many things, I am surprised it's not more. Jimmy and Gene Simmons are very similar in how they latched onto marketing themselves.

8. og61pbass

og61pbass

9. hover

hover

Yeah...everytime I blow out my flip flop, I curse his name and owe him 20 cents...

10. zachoff

zachoff

:D

My uncle saw him a couple summers ago & said he'd never seen so many bewbs at a show in his life (he's 65 and has seen a ton of shows). I neither love nor hate Jimmy Buffett, but I'll be damned if I can't sing along with most all his songs I hear. Something to be said for that, I guess.

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

It was the "Aidsburger in Paradise" bump he got. It was his biggest hit yet, bringing younger listeners into his nearly-depleted demographic.

12. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

He went to Paris
    Looking for answers
    To questions that bothered him so

Questions like... where's the bank?

Good on you, Jimmy!

13. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Now THAT'S making the most out of modest musical talent, a la Sonny Bono. Can't find anything wrong with it.

14. KJung

KJung

He is an amazing business person, and actually a pretty impressive songwriter.

I have never met him, but have three good friends from the 'old neighborhood' that have made up the backbone of the Coral Reefer Band for the last 25 years or so (Roger Guth on drums, and the Mayer brothers... Pete on Guitar and Jimmy on bass (wonderful bassist). These guys are amazing, amazing players (I believe Roger had a shot at a Pat Metheny tour at one point). And, also remember Ralph MacDonald (of Chick Corea fame, wrote 'where is the love', etc., etc.) was Jimmy's percussionist for years (he recently passed).

More musically going on there than you would think. Mack Macanally (amazing Nashville songwriter) has also been part of the band forever.

Nice people, totally professional organization. I've been backstage a few times over the years, and it is a well run machine. Very family oriented. Cool when good people do well!

Per the above... good for him!:bassist:

15. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

oh, no....disagree.

he may not be your cup of tea (he's not really MINE), but musically and as a song writer, he's fantastic

as far as his money...go, man, go....good for you.

[​IMG]

16. Richland123

Richland123

My friend's grandson plays drums for a Jimmy Buffett tribute act and they play a lot of gigs across the country for good money. The guy in the band who does the Jimmy Buffett impersonation does look and sing like him albeit not as good on guitar. People around here pack places to see him.

If I could do what Jimmy has done to create a business empire, I would have done it too. He sure does have a devout fan base.

17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Not bad for an old bass player originally.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

19. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I have nothing against him and also say Kudo's to him but I have never dug his music or understood the interest in it myself. I have seen quite a few other island sytle , acoustic singer-songwriters like him locally who IMO are just as good but have just not found the right song yet I guess.

21. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

His songs are fun, and singable with catchy hooks. Plus a free and easy appearing lifestyle. All the things that the average person can relate (or wishes they could relate ) to. He appears to really have a knack for marketing those songs into an empire.

Good for you Jimmy!