1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jimmy Garrison bootleg

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by oliebrice, Dec 2, 2012.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

courtesy of Ethan Iverson on twitter, here's Jimmy Garrison playing 'All The Things You Are' in 1974, with Warren Chiasson and Beaver Harris. Audio only, but it's fantastic...

2. damonsmith

damonsmith

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

4. iona bass

iona bass Supporting Member

During the chorus which begins @ 3:42, ( by the 3:50 mark), his note choices become non-supportive of the harmony. ( He sounds "lost " in the form, to me). At the 5:29 mark, ( the Bridge), he gets back on track.

Just listenin', Just sayin'...
    Thanks.
  5. damonsmith

damonsmith

Garrison lost is still worth a million Berkelee grads...
  6. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

One of the things I miss most from the old days is this kind of by-the-seat-of-your-pants gig, warts and all. IMHO, today everything is too cerebral--too worked out.
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

I don't hear "lost", it's not like he's in a different place in the tune or the timestream (beat ahead or behind).There's a couple of places that Warren tries to open up the harmony, I don't know that Jimmy's not trying to give him the space to do so.
  8. gerry grable

+1
    He's not lost.
    Garrison is not going to get lost on a tune as familiar as All the things...
  9. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

I've seen pro jazz musicians get in some minor train wrecks live. It happens to everyone.
  10. gerry grable

You're right. Missing a change here and there, or going a different way from the piano player, but very seldom losing their place in the tune.
  11. damonsmith

damonsmith

It sounds like music.
  12. gerry grable

Yep!
  13. iona bass

Thanks, everybody, for your responses.

From 3:50 to 5:29, Mr. Garrison's basslines do not support the harmony of the song being played, (very clearly), by the vibes player. Prior to 3:50 and after 5:29, they do, (to my ears).
    If the whole track sounds like "awesome... music" to you and your ears, then nothing I can say will convince you otherwise...
    And that's OK. Seriously...
    This is all very subjective "stuff".

Best Wishes for the New Year.
  14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

OK, good luck with that.
    Have a blessed day.
  15. damonsmith

damonsmith

In a very conservative sense, sure, you are right. However, Jim Garrison was a ground breaking musician with experience from work with Bill Dixon, Ornette Colman & Don Cherry, John Coltrane, Clifford Thorton and many other innovative musicians.
    Assuming he is lost rather that deliberately taking the music elsewhere is not very astute.
    The music played between the three musicians here is more important than All the Things You Are. As it should be.

16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

??
  17. iona bass

damon smith- thanks for your honesty in confirming ( albeit in "a very conservative sense"), that something happened between 3:50 and 5:29. I guess we can disagree on the reason(s) "why".

ugly bassplayer - yes, thanks for your original comment. sometimes even great, legendary players can make mistakes. it doesn't diminish their past accomplishments in any way, whatsoever.
  18. damonsmith

damonsmith

"Something" happens through the whole track - it is called improvising and making music.
  19. philip sirois

philip sirois

Yeesh....He supports the music that's happening at the moment, especially the soloist, beautifully through the whole thing, period. Isn't that what it's about?
  20. iona bass

philip sirois - thanks for your comment.

to you, or anyone interested in continuing the discussion, listen to the chorus beginning @5:07- at the 5:21 mark, the bass plays pedal "D" for 2 bars, followed by pedal "G" for 2 bars. he's playing the changes of the bridge 4 bars EARLY...because he's been "off " of the harmonic form since the 3:50 mark, ( that chorus started @3:42).
    the bridge then actually (correctly) starts @ 5:26, ( the vibes quotes the melody of the bridge), mr. garrison hears it, and the bass then rejoins the harmonic form - playing the Amin7 - D7 - Gmaj7...etc.

i like this vibes player more and more with each listening. i was not aware of his playing, other than having heard of his name. (warren chaisson).

i'm really not looking for an argument or a lecture - i'm really just a serious musician trying to listen to a piece of music as closely and objectively as possible.

thanks again, everybody.