1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jimmy Johnson's solo with Planet X

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Hi guys -

I've just finished transcribing this solo from the very talented and very underrated Jimmy Johnson! so thought i'd video it and put it on my YT channel.. this is a tune called 'Midnight Bell' from Planet X's Moonbabies album, always loved this solo.. i must of heard this track for the first time around 8/9 years ago! and it blew me away, the dynamics and versatility in it.. a lot of colour used!

for anyone who wants to have a go at learning it :)

Thanks!

Bill.

2. hands5

hands5

Disclosures:
    none
    Man I've been telling people about Jimmy since the late 80's......Cat got some grease to his playing,and as a matter of fact he was one of the very 1st player I had seen playing that 5 string Alembic,even before the 5 string became a novelty

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Yeah! i heard that he was the first guy to ever play a 5-string.. but such an awesome player, and a very humble guy aswell! :)

4. joe vegas

joe vegas

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Thanks Joe :)

7. joe vegas

joe vegas

i'm diggin this immensely.. it's compact and a strong statement. the octaves are awesomely used, and his "conversational" phrasing is so cool.. really inspired labor-of-love, man. great bass solos are definite keepers, well worthy of study, they show where the instrument is heading.

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Yeah man, it blew me away when I first heard it, and then the second time I listened to it.. still blew me away! And it will always continue to, his solos with Holdsworth are great aswell! I got to meet him
    After a gig he did in the UK, such a nice guy! :)