1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jimmy Johnson's solo with Planet X

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Hi guys -

I've just finished transcribing this solo from the very talented and very underrated Jimmy Johnson! so thought i'd video it and put it on my YT channel.. this is a tune called 'Midnight Bell' from Planet X's Moonbabies album, always loved this solo.. i must of heard this track for the first time around 8/9 years ago! and it blew me away, the dynamics and versatility in it.. a lot of colour used!

for anyone who wants to have a go at learning it :)

Thanks!

Bill.
  2. hands5

hands5

Man I've been telling people about Jimmy since the late 80's......Cat got some grease to his playing,and as a matter of fact he was one of the very 1st player I had seen playing that 5 string Alembic,even before the 5 string became a novelty
  3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Yeah! i heard that he was the first guy to ever play a 5-string.. but such an awesome player, and a very humble guy aswell! :)
  4. joe vegas

joe vegas

great work!!
  5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Thanks Joe :)
  6. joe vegas

joe vegas

i'm diggin this immensely.. it's compact and a strong statement. the octaves are awesomely used, and his "conversational" phrasing is so cool.. really inspired labor-of-love, man. great bass solos are definite keepers, well worthy of study, they show where the instrument is heading.
  7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Yeah man, it blew me away when I first heard it, and then the second time I listened to it.. still blew me away! And it will always continue to, his solos with Holdsworth are great aswell! I got to meet him
    After a gig he did in the UK, such a nice guy! :)