1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Joe Bonamassa: $112 a seat? REALLY???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oboylebass, Feb 8, 2014.

1. oboylebass

oboylebass

A hundred twelve bux to see Joe Bonamasa? Are you effing kidding me? I can't even hum one of his tunes. I saw U2 a few years back it was $50 for general admission/floor. Edge and Bono where literally less than 10 feet away from us. What in the heck is the world coming to??
  2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

It was $200 to see Rolling Stones.
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

You paid $50 to see U2 and complain about what other people pay to see a show?
  4. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

Good for him! If he can get it, why shouldn't he ask for it? That's the beauty of a free market. We have so many choices of how to spend or not spend our money. If seeing Joe Bonamassa live is worth $112 to you then go, otherwise be glad you have $112 to do something else.

If prices are kept lower than what the market will bear, scalpers will find a way to raise them up.
  5. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    the market will bear it so yeah.. why not.... good for him
  6. oboylebass

oboylebass

No, I complain because Joe Bonamassa is not U2 or Rolling Stones or McCartney or Rush. The point I am making is that $112 is way too much for Bonamassa. The average 9-to5er could never afford this.

There was a time when you went to concerts EVERY WEEK and you never ever had to worry about how much tickets were.
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I wouldn't pay it but if someone is a fan, I could understand them paying $112. You have to understand that record sales are not what they once were. That's why so many bands including many classic rock artists are back to touring on a regular basis. There isn't as much money to be made just on selling albums and singles.

Times have changed. I saw KISS in 1978 for $7.50. My seat was in the third row, center. On New Year's Eve 1983, my band was playing at a club in Rhode Island. The cost to see us was $8. The same night, Aerosmith was playing at the Centrum in Worcester, Ma. The cost to see them was $11.50 and $13.50.
    In recent years, I have paid as much as $150 per ticket to see a band.
  8. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I saw Hendrix for $3.35, and the Stones for $6.50.

The Stones were a rip off.
  9. Ratbut

Ratbut Supporting Member

I paid about $90 to see him at TPAC in Nashville two years ago. I saw him in Atlanta in December, he sold out 2 shows at the Fox Theater. I think you would be suprised at the number of fans he has and what they are all willing to pay.
  10. Ratbut

Ratbut Supporting Member

I saw Rush at the same Fox theater in Atlanta in 1979 for $6.95.
  11. pflash4001

pflash4001

I don't think so much about the fact it's Bonamassa. I really dig his sound and if I had it I'd go, but that's the problem. My kids love going to shows with me. They have seen Tom Petty, Chicago, Santana, Boston, ZZ Top, Steve Winwood, Dwight Yoakam, even Merle Haggard and many more. I can't go to concerts without my kids. I know they would want to be there, too. At $75 per ticket, though, I can't take my wife and three kids plus myself to shows. I just can't swing the expense. If the prices are even higher...you get the picture. Concerts have just gotten way expensive. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that they're getting further and further out of reach and that sucks for someone like me who is a huge music fan.
  12. cripula

cripula Supporting Member

Those '59 bursts and Dumble amps aren't going to pay for themselves :D
  13. Ratbut

Ratbut Supporting Member

One reason is recording music has become a non-profit. They make their money on shows and merchandise. Motley Crue's final tour just went on sale in Nashville about a week ago, I don't think you can get a good seat for less than $200
  14. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

If they can not make the money from record sales they have make it somewhere.
    People forget how expensive a album was back in the day. You could see a band for less than one album. When I was in my teens a album cost 3-4 hours of work. Today at minimum wage you can download a album for 10 minutes of work.

$50 is still $49.99 more than I would pay for U2
    Bonamassa is good and I would pay it to see him, my kids can buy their own tickets.
  15. pflash4001

pflash4001

My kids are under 11 years old...and yes, they love concerts.
  16. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

He came to the Columbus civic center a couple of years back. Even with my student discount my ticket would've been $80 for floor seats. Too much for a college student.
  17. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

This is no surprise. Economist Alan Krueger did an analysis of concert ticket prices back in 2005. He made reference to the "Bowie Theory" based on a quote of David Bowie's from 2002: "Music itself is going to become like running water or electricity. So it’s like, just take advantage of these last few years because none of this is ever going to happen again. You’d better be prepared for doing a lot of touring because that’s really the only unique situation that’s going to be left."

If you like reading about models of ticket prices, check it out: Krueger, A.B. (2005). The economics of real superstars: The market for rock concerts in the material world. Journal of Labor Economics, 23.
  18. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I Dig His style and he'll probably sell out. It's all just a matter of opinion. I'd pay that for U2 also. Now $2500 for Barbara Streisdand is another story. But she sold out at that price IIRC.
  19. Wagz

Wagz

Because... guitards.
    The same way we'd all pay more than the average concert-goer to see Geddy, Victor, Marcus, etc., guitards will pay that premium to see Bonamasa, Rodrigo y Gabreila, etc.
    And you'd be surprised to learn how many guitarists live in your average American metropolitan area.
  20. cavedweller

cavedweller

Bonamassa is at that level. The venues he has played and the artists he has shared the stage with, He is the real deal. Well respected by the biggest names in the business. $112.00 is a deal, probably be more expensive next tour.