Joe Schermie - Three Dog Night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Richland123, May 17, 2010.

1. Richland123

Richland123

I have always been a fan of Three Dog Night. Joe Schermie (Schermetzler) was the bass player from the start of the band until 1973 while he was in his 20s and played on most of the big hits they had. He was not in the spotlight with the band but was a very important part of the sound of the band and played bass lines that fit the songs well.

After he left the group, he formed band called S.S. Fools with some of the members of Three Dog Night and some others including Bobby Kimball, who would go on to join Toto. He then played with many other well known artists.

Three Dog Night
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Hit-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274117891&sr=8-1

S.S. Fools
    http://www.myspace.com/ssfools/music/playlists
  2. Hoover

Hoover

The very first album I ever bought with my own money was Three Dog Night's Naturally. Joe was the epitome of the "invisible" bass player: You never noticed him, but it was obvious that were he not there, the band would fall apart.

Which is sorta what happened, but...
  3. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

i saw them live in their prime and there is no question that he was a big part of their sound,and stage presence
  4. Richland123

Richland123

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gttim

gttim

My first concert was Three Dog Night at Atlanta Stadium for their "Harmony" tour. (The Faces opened.) I had been a big fan, and always have been. The musicianship of Schermie, Sneed, Allsup and Greenspoon has always been over looked. It is a shame that drugs and a fight over control led to the end of the original lineup and prevented a true reunion from ever taking place.

I remember seeing S. S. Fools, the name derived from the TDN album cover Seven Separate Fools, on American Bandstand. I never did like their music.

Need more troll doll!

See Joe Jam!
  7. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

i don't recall seeing a flat pick tho.....
  8. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

One of my favorites!

9. xray

xray

TDN was one of the bands I grew up with and cherished! I'd listen to all their albums on my little cassette machine. When I picked up the bass some of the first lines I learned were Schermie's. To this day i still listen to them. You know: Jeremiah was a bullfrog...!!
  10. rekesbass

rekesbass

forgot how many hits they had..they were a great band.
  11. jaywa

jaywa

I got to open for them a couple years ago. I never got close to the band thanks to the local promoter being a total a$$hole, but I did get a good seat out front. Their harmonies were great and their drummer was very very good. I got the impression whoever's playing bass with them now is there more for his voice than his playing but he was playing a nice Lakland with a Hartke stack and did fine. They didn't have him high enough in the mix though.
  12. So Low Bass

So Low Bass

I heard Three Dog Night at Kleinhans Music Hall in winter 1971. It was a perfect place to hear a concert... a 2800 seat theater. Bands would play two shows in one night to make some money, but the sound was worth it! Not a locker room in sight.

The problem is that Joe didn't make it! He was snowed in in Rochester and they played the entire concert without a bass... yuk.

I heard the modern touring version three summers ago. The original guitarist was with them but was acting like such as ^&&. He has a rack of perhaps six guitars (for an hour show) and kept the roadie running around with this problem and that during the entire show that I wanted to punch him out. He played three guitars on one tune.
  13. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

I saw them in 69 at Clowes Memorial Hall on the Butler campus. They were great, Joe & Floyd were locked tighter than white on rice. Joe used a Bruce amp at that time, the sound he got, and the parts he played were awesome. I think he was as good as it gets and never got much respect.
  14. Richland123

Richland123

The current Three Dog Night lineup includes founding members Cory Wells and Danny Hutton on lead vocals, as well as original keyboardist Jimmy Greenspoon and guitarist Michael Allsup. Paul Kingery (bass and vocals) and Pat Bautz (drums) complete the lineup.

http://www.threedognight.com/band.html
  15. JimK

JimK

A guilty pleasure of mine is the '60s Pop that I grew up with...
    Needless to say, I loved TDN back in the day...still love 'em.
    Unitil I was able get my own copy, I recall wearing out my cousin's Golden Bisquits LP.

Yes, their rhythm section blended & played very well as a team. Four very tasteful guys.
    "Out In The Couintry" & "One Man Band" will always bring a smile to my face,
  16. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

I still remember trying to cop the ascending line at the end of "Try a little tenderness" back in the day. That kept me busy for a bit :bassist:
  17. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band Supporting Member

Can't believe I missed this thread! I've always loved Joe's playing; It's back there, but pushing the song along. Sad to see him go.

Cheers,
    Jim
  18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

I loved TDN because they covered "Chest Fever"!

The live album takes me back to church youth group days.
  19. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

That EXACT YouTube video was from my first concert!
    I saw the current line up last year. "Play That Funky Music White Boy"? Are you freaking kidding me?? They had enough hits to draw from to do two complete shows, and that's what they pull out?:rollno:
  20. Comet01

Comet01

21. JimK

JimK

I wouldn't mind owning that album...Rhino oughta reissue it.