John Doe

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Another guy that inspired me long ago...maybe not known as a great bass player...but a solid bassist/lead singer for one of the greatest punk bands X.

John Doe with X
    Marial and 10cc like this.
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Aug 11, 2012
    Yes! Great player, great writer, great singer. A lot of his lines are very interesting: a kind of hyper-speed rockabilly that can be heard in followers such as Matt Freeman of Rancid.
  3. Wasn't a huge fan in their heyday but X and JD have definitely grown on me.
    10cc likes this.
  4. elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    My very first concert was X at The Greek Theater with my big sister. :cool:
    10cc, Muddslide and GregC like this.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    I actually prefer a lot of John Doe's solo and post-X material over X. He was good in "Great Balls of Fire", too.
  7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    I just saw X last night (second time in a year, fifth overall), with Jesse Dayton filling in on guitar as Billy Zoom is being treated for bladder cancer. We were sitting on John's side, about 15 feet from the stage, and he was killing it! I think some of his lines got buried in the mix on the records, and he's also added more fills over time--he had some remarkable runs and cool counterpoints down the fretboard. His voice isn't quite as golden and strong as it used to be (he's 61, after all), but he still sounds very good. An underrated player, certainly.
    Marial and Muddslide like this.
  8. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Much respect for John Doe and X. He was so pretty good in Road House!
    Muddslide likes this.
  9. Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
    Hell yeah, John Doe! Huge fan of his playing and writing. Grew up on X, love a lot of his other work too.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    10cc and GregC like this.
  10. billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    definitely a solid player - not a huge X fan but repsect them for sure, even have a X tune (Phones off the Hook) in our set list.
  11. 10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Love X
    GregC likes this.
  12. Wolf and hit and run were on continuous rotation in HS. Actually got to see them at Disneyland opening up for Annamotion.
  13. Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
    Opening for Animotion? That's an abomination.
  14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    That might actually be worse than what I witnessed--the Ramones opening for the ersatz Springsteen (John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band).
  15. Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
    *throws up in mouth a little*
  16. 10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Seen the Allmans open for Dave Matthews Band. I know why but damn...left soon as Greg did.
    GregC and Muddslide like this.
  17. Before X took the stage there was a PSA saying "slam-dancing is not allowed!!!" in the big Disney voice.
    Kind of like having Dead Kennedys open for Lionel Ritchie.