John East P-Retro clicking issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ynot12, Nov 9, 2013.

1. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

I just picked up a used John East P Retro preamp. I finished installing it in one of my P Basses, the tone controls seem to be functioning properly, however, there is a constant clicking sound.... Like a metronome at 100 bpm. It's louder in active mode, but it is audible in passive too. I already took it all apart and re-did the install... Same thing both times.

Any idea what this is... How to fix?

2. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    Are the cavities shielded?...if not ..try that first...Possibly try calling J-Retro about options

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Turn the ceiling fan off.

(Semi-serious!)

4. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I've had the same thing happen before and it was a grounding issue. Email John, he the best when it comes to customer service. Just keep in mind he's in the UK...time differences.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

John is GREAT to deal with regarding help with his products. I had an issue last year and he bent over backwards trying to help me. Super nice guy. Drop him an email or give him a call.

7. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. I actually reached out to John East via his TalkBass account and he responded right away thinking it might be a battery issue. However, he then asked me to communicate with him via email which I did, but my emails keep getting returned as undeliverable. Bummer. My poor P Bass is lying dead on the bench.

8. vxjoe

vxjoe

Remove your watch, keep p-ups away from the TV remote. Sounds corny but I notice it with digital electronics close to the pickups.