John Entwistle Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I want to dedicate this thread to a player "who"(haha, pun intended) I believe is true underrated and largely ignored these days, despite the fact that he invented round wound strings, which about 75% of all bass players use today, played the first bass solo in rock, and was responsible for the general notion of a "bass guitarist",as opposed to merely an "electric bassist."
    His technical wizardry and innovative genius IMO completely dwarf Flea, Marcus Miller, Les Claypool, and just about every other commonly accepted modern bass "god." So does anyone else feel that the late great John Alec "Thunderfingers" Entwistle deserves more credit than he gets from the bass guitar community??

Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Entwistle is very much not underrated. Countless players list him as major influence (myself included). Bass Player Magazine dubbed him Bassist of the Millennium. He got the credit he was due, and during his lifetime.

BTW: He didn't invent round wound strings. He helped develop Rotosound's Swing Bass 66 strings, an improvement (in his view) over existing round wounds.
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

+1 to the above. The Ox gets a lot of love here. Huge influence on so many players.
    Bassdude15 likes this.
  4. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Commercial FREE!
    I miss JAE. I cringe whenever there's a mention of his "Signature" Line from Dean.

X8
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I respectfully disagree. You don't see him mentioned HALF as much as Flea; Even Geddy Lee gets talked about more AFAIK than Entwistle (Not that Geddy isn't awesome, just an example).
  7. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

I also, and even more so with the fact that Hans (Warwick) stole the rights for the Buzzard bass to be made by Status Graphite, who JAE had building his basses for the last 6yrs before his death. The Warwick Buzzard doesn't hold a candle to the Status build. Both companies could have produced there own, but NOOOOOOOOOOO. Hans Peter didn't want the competition. Only us bassists lose.....again.
  8. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I see where you're coming from, but IMO the Status Buzzards sound awful.
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I respectfully disagree here, he gets mentioned here quite a bit actually. Not to argue, but I do see his name mentioned here as much as those others named. Well, maybe not Geddy. I'll take the Ox over Geddy ANY DAY.

I think its cool you started an appreciation thread for the man though, great idea. I'm all in on this one. John still amazes me every time I hear his playing and will always be an inspiration to me. Always. I totally dig the Who's music, but it was what each member brought to the table individually that wowed me into loving the band. Each and every guy in that band was a master at his trade. Especially Keith, John and Pete. I could go on forever about how much they rocked, but you all know that. Cool thread, thanks!!
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski

I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. Assuming you've actually counted mentions, my theory is: The bassists that get name-checked the most on TB are alive and working, and/or doing new/interesting things that get TBers talking.

"Flea was totally unplugged during the super bowl show."

"Can anyone ID the new bass Geddy' playing on the CA tour?"

"I attended a clinic Victor Wooten held last month. Really cool, down-to-earth guy."

I'll bet that nearly all TBers (whether they like him or not) will say JAE is a hall-of-famer. As are Flea, Geddy and Wooten.

Lotsa love here for the Ox. When I started playing in high school I wore my bass way high like him and played through Sunn amps to get that tone. Unquestionably a formative influence.
  11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Think your impression might rise from the fact that Entwistle's massive influence on bassists and bassplaying may be well past the active 'gushing' phase.

That said, he does get a lot of love here, though it may be spoken about less than some others as it's possibly considered obvious.

Which is not to say that your appreciation thread is unecessary--because hey, I CLICKED ON IT, cause I love John Entwistle. As do a very large # of TBers.

I mean, you have to love him simply for this speaker array:
    [​IMG]
  12. Laurie Bass

Laurie Bass Supporting Member

I too think that J.A.E. is a great bass player. Infact my first album I ever bought was "Who's Next" back in the day when I was 14 years young.;)
    Since then The Who have been my favorite band,,they still are and John is still a favorite bass player of mine. My one big regret in life is that when I was younger I did not go to Toronto Canada and see the original line up play..I am such a dope.:rollno:
  13. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Got to meet JE at the NAMM show back in 1991. He was in the Modulus Graphite booth. Decided to give it a shot and when I introduced myself (like he cared who the hell I was) he was decidedly standoffish. But then I mentioned the Standing In the Shadows of Motown project, which had just recently been released and in which he was involved, his attitude quickly changed, he became quite animated and much more willing to talk.

Just glad I was able to involve something in our conversation that was interesting to him.
  14. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

I met him on several occasions and got to watch one of his soundchecks. I always found him pleasant and funny in a self-effacing way.
  15. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

I was 17 and saw the original lineup twice in 1971. The first time, when they first took the stage, he played some random riff and the notes just Kicked! You! In! The! Chest! and my friend and I just looked at each other in awe. Records captured only the brightness, none of the power. Still ranks as my best rock concert. Live at Leeds times 100.

Second time was right after Who's Next and it wasn't as magical, making Moonie play along with that sequencing stuff sucked the life out of it (and him, maybe?) I mostly remember it being loud.