John Patitucci

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by metalguy2, Mar 13, 2006.

1. metalguy2

metalguy2

So... Since I just found out that John Patitucci recently won a grammy for his work on the newest Wayne Shorter. And I just searched the forum for a thread like this.. and NOTHING!
    SO!!! I was wondering if there are any other people on these forums that likes John Patitucci's work, either solo or with Chick Corea.
  2. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Of course! an amazing talent not only a virtouso as a bassist(EB,DB) but musically as well!

he is my earliest influence i was so amazed about his bassplayin that caused me to pick up the bass!
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

Well - he does play Double Bass on all the Wayne Shorter stuff....:meh:

He's been mentioned many times in the DB forums...I remember saying that I saw him play in this quartet and was impressed with his amplified DB sound in such a large venue - even bowed!
  4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx

I like him, but I much prefer to hear him playing Electric to upright, I'm the same with Stanley Clarke, I'd rather hear him on electric too!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

I love his playing. The nicest bass I've ever played is his Yamaha signature.

He's very much a "goofy-face" player, though. :D I got the John Abercrombie/Patitucci DVD and it was pretty amusing to watch John (P.) shimmy around as much as he does.
  7. metalguy2

metalguy2

Exactly!! Watching him doing "Giant Steps" was a riot!!!
  8. -Timothy-

-Timothy- Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Uni•Sound
    I'm a big fans of John Patitucci, he 's just amazing! :bassist:
  9. MD

MD

10. Bruce Lindfield

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

To me, Patitucci defines what it means to be "pro". The cat can do it all...

Though I hesitate to be the lone dissenting voice on this thread, there's also something about his work that, while extremely accomplished from a technical standpoint, often comes across as a little clinical or sterile-sounding, particularly his solos. Maybe I'm just not hearing what others hear in him...

MM
  12. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Big, big fan. I've got all of his bandleader recordings, and they're all great. I could recommend twenty or thirty recordings where he just blazes.

But...

For something completely different, consider "One More Angel", which is a very cerebral, introspective recording. He and his wife had just lost a baby (thus the album title), and, in my opinion, the accompanying emotion is very clearly conveyed in the compositions. the first track ("Quasimodo", I think) is a good track, but belies the tone of the rest of the recording, so be prepared to get to track three or four before you really realize what it's about.

It's a fine piece of work. Mostly upright, for what it's worth.

Now back to the "Bassists" forum...sorry, that was a bit of a "Recording" hijack. But not entirely off-topic.
  13. ai4281

ai4281

do any of you know what string gauges John Patitucci uses?
  14. WillInDenver

I don't know. His website still says he uses D'Addario Prisms, which I don't think are made anymore (ProSteels now instead?). His tone on the Elektric Band "To The Stars" CD, which I think is one of his more recent recordings with a lot of electric, sure sounds like nickel to me. Much mellower than what I'm used to hearing from him.
  15. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Hey how is "To the Stars"? I picked it up in the music shop today, and thought about buying it, but decided that I really didn't need to listen to any more crazy fusion at the moment . . .
  16. WillInDenver

Coming from a real Elektric Band fan...eh. So-so.

I actually wrote a review of it on Amazon - here's the link. Mine is the fourth one down or so, although a couple other guys have posted similar reviews since mine.
  17. metalguy2

metalguy2

Isn't string gauge more about personal preference?
  18. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

im not sure though but i heard that "To the stars" is an old recording but remastered and re-released is it true?
  19. kevcooke

kevcooke

I want to learn to solo like Patitucci, but I really don't know where to start...
  20. Bruce Lindfield

I can see what you mean as applied to his 6-string electric solos - doesn't really sound like bass to me...:meh:

But his Double Bass work is great - even his bowed work sounds deep and warm!! :)
  21. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

man who cares what it sounds like, listen to the music man! i'll transcribe a tin whistle if its a good solo, it shows your ignorance on Patitucci's playing if you are talking about his tone, listen to the notes!!!!!!:hyper: