1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

John Paul Jones phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BluesProgMetal, Jan 26, 2012.

1. BluesProgMetal

BluesProgMetal

Hey guys, My band is going to be covering a few Led Zeppelin songs in an upcoming show. One of the songs we are covering is No Quarter,and since I will be playing Piano I need to know what phaser he uses . I have a phase 90 but it distorts at the higher speeds required for the song.

What phaser will suit me?
  2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

INFANEM Faye Sing
  3. rekesbass

rekesbass

i don't think it's a phaser on no quarter..a tremelo or rotovibe(rotating speaker simulator) perhaps but,I can get that vibe with my EHX small stone phase....
  4. JDHayes

JDHayes

I know he used a leslie speaker cab for the song heart breaker.
  5. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure that is NOT a leslie. Everything I've ever heard was that it was a Hohner Electra Piano through a Maestro PS-1A phaser.
  6. JDHayes

JDHayes

Do you remember where you heard that? Now I'm curious as to what was really used. All I have ever heard was it was a leslie with some overdrive.
  7. KPJ

KPJ

LED ZEPPELIN :: ACHILLES LAST STAND
  8. JDHayes

JDHayes

9. Viscera_Eyes

Viscera_Eyes

Didn't JPJ use a Fender Rhodes Piano on No Quarter? I am not sure about the modulation though.
  10. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

According to that link, he used the Hohner on the studio version, and the Rhodes on live shows.
  11. Basshappi

Basshappi

If I remember correctly it was an old Maestro phaser.
  12. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

The Faye SIng doesn't distort at high speeds. I mean you can hunt down some vintage Maestro if you must. I am not sure how easy they are to find or how much.
    EQD Grand Orbiter is a good phaser and vibrato that works good at high speeds too.