1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

John Taylor gear...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by raul, Oct 8, 2011.

1. raul

raul

anyone know what kinda gear he used for those classic 80's recordings? amps, strings, pedals...any info at all would be cool...i love his tone and would love to know what he used...
  2. raul

raul

anyone? anything? i'm feeling a bit lonely...and i can't get up!
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

He used Aria basses. I think his main one was a Aria SB-1000 (or something similar). He had a very mid-ranged based tone. No clue what his rig was like, but if I had to guess I'd think Ashdown.
  4. raul

raul

i remember the Aria, that's right! i wonder if he used it in the studio for tracks like Girls on Film, Rio, Planet Earth...? i love those tones! View To A Kill is also awesome sounding? could it be the Aria? i also remember reading an interview in the mid 80's about his origins as a bassist and all kindsa cool stuff...it had amp/gear info...dangit, i wish i still had that interview, might have been in Guitar World? hmmm...such a cool tone...i think i hear some compression...? and Roto's? i read something also about him trying a Bernard Edwards bass and it had flats on it...sometims his tone had a nice thick quality to it, i figured maybe he used flats? maybe, sometimes...unless he's just a Rotosound rounds kinda guy...
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

IIRC, he used an early Kubicki with the Power Station side-project.

Riis
  6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Instrument-wise, John Taylor used the Aria Pro the most during Duran Duran's peak in the 80's. The Kubicki came into play during the Power Station record. And the Music Man that he's played was Bernard Edwards old bass.

These days, his main basses seem to be Peavey Cirrus's. And IIRC he may have a signature bass with them now.
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty much Aria SB on everything recorded with DD.
    The Kubicki with Powersation.
    A Wal on the Band Aid song "Do They Know it Christmas".
    He also owns Bernard's StingRay. It was given to him after Bernard died.
  8. cjmatt

cjmatt

Disclosures:
    Founder: 62ndSongProject
    I thought he was playing Alleva Coppolo basses now?
  9. richtea

richtea

It's a long time ago, from memory, so dont shoot me If I'm wrong, on the first album he played a ric on planet earth, I seem to remember an Ibanez RoadStar as well for one track, but cant be a hundred percent on that one. After that It was the SB1000, (great bass,I had one around 84-5,It's the one I wish I had never sold) Amps, not sure but Trace Elliot rings a bell.
  10. cnltb

cnltb

Did Ashdown even exist in those days?
  11. richtea

richtea

errrr Nope! by about 20 years. like I said I'm pretty sure he was using trace gear and or peavey.
  12. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Aria SB-1000 was his main bass I believe, he is shown with a Rick in the Planet Earth video, Kubicki later on, and then I thought he got into Peavey Cirrus basses.
  13. randysmojo

randysmojo Supporting Member

I seem to remember something about him using some Peavey gear amp wise, but you can always watch old youtube vids and see if you can catch a glimpse of his rig.
  14. ERIC31

ERIC31

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Did I say Ashdown? *checks* Oops! Yeah, I definitely meant Peavey :p
  16. kevteop

kevteop

I don't think Trace Elliot existed while D.D. were in their heyday either. :)
  17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

JT's "heyday" Aria tone is my 2nd favorite bass tone of all time (Geddy's Wal tone being the first) I will eventually own both...=)
  18. cnltb

cnltb

I think they started out in '79 or somewhere thereabuts.
  19. BritPicker

BritPicker

I'd say Trace Elliot and Duran Duran had their peak of popularity at exactly the same time. Early 80's and Trace Elliot was THE amp for any aspiring pop-rock bassist.

So much so that when I see Trace gear I automatically think "cheesy 80's band". (Not that Duran were one of those)
  20. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    He has a white alleva coppolo kbp4. It is the sister bass to my signature model tha was made a few days earlier...He too has the reddish African Rosewood finger board from the same blank as mine. Only difference is his has an experimental shape tuning key with the top cut off to be made square .

In the 80s he had A Kunicki ex factor and an aria