John Taylor of Duran Duran

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bearclaw, Mar 16, 2001.

1. bearclaw

bearclaw

I haven't seen JT listed too often as a respected player in here. I was just curious to see if any of my fellow bassists have heard his work or have been influenced by his playing?

The first three Duran records are prime examples of his syncopated, mid-range/tone ,finger-style dance grooves. He and Roger Taylor complimented each other nicely as a rhythm section back in the early days.

Nile Rodgers did a fine job tracking his bass and presenting the listener with a richer/deeper sounding bass tone on the "Notorious" record. I was amazed at how a Kubicki Factor could actually sound pleasant, if tweeked correctly! This of course is just my personal opinion. I once owned one and sold it after six months!

John's presence is greatly missedl from the current Duran lineup!! The band has lost the chemistry it once had, even during the Wedding Album era there was more interaction between band members. Mind you, this was an all-time low period for John with personal endeavours etc.

Before I finish rambling on. I wish to thank John for being gracious enough to take my band AZURTECH under his wing and for assisting us in promoting our music thru his TRUSTTHEPROCESS.COM website. My playing is heavily influenced by JT and I'm not ashamed to admit that my lines have a similiar feel to his. Thankyou John and to my colleagues for reading.

Joe Burcaw
  2. JimK

JimK

...so, did you ever pick up JT's solo disc from a couple years back?
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

John Taylor is one of my favorite players. I'll never get tired of playing Rio - I love that bassline :D .
  4. stephanie

stephanie

I love John Taylor's work in Duran Duran. I think "Save A Prayer's" bassline is my favorite one. It's hard to explain why, but it always strikes a chord (no pun intended) in me. I think it's beautiful. I've been trying to play it myself by a tab I found on the web, but I can only seem to get the beginning. Either the tab is wrong or I'm just confused, cuz I've been listening to it and the tab doesn't sound right. :(

Haven't heard his stuff outside of Duran Duran (except some Power Station) but I would like to.

Cheers,

~Stephanie
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bearclaw

bearclaw

I have purchased all of John's solo efforts since 1995. The guy has put out numerous records since departing Duran in early 1997.

"Save a Prayer" is indeed a beautifully crafted bassline! Too bad you weren't in New York Stephanie, I'd show you some Duran/Power Station stuff. Best of luck with the Tablature.
  7. Sapo

Sapo Member

Fighting the War on Terror in the Steel City.
    Where are you at in PA Stephanie. If your real close I'll swing by and show you the part. Have you asked your instructor to help you work it out?
  8. stephanie

stephanie

Well, I'm holed up here in good ol Scranton, PA :-> (*cough cough*)

Ya know, ya just reminded me my bass teacher told me to bring in a CD for my next lesson. Maybe I should bring in some Duran Duran. Though, I think he meant to bring in a CD so I can make up my own bassline to a song, but still....
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"bang a Gong," with Power Station is one of my all time faves, a real woofer workout!!!

I can't think of a better song or bassist to demonstrate the marriage of the bass and the kick drum.
  10. Sapo

Sapo Member

Fighting the War on Terror in the Steel City.
    Yikes! That's quite a haul for me. I'd suggest taking the CD in and working some stuff out, especially if that bassline has such an impact on you. You could surely learn something through the effort.
  11. bearclaw

bearclaw

Dear Rick,

Did you know that Bernard Edwards punched in the bass solo, in the bridge section of "Bang a Gong"? Notice the extreme differences in tone, which is a dead giveaway.
  12. JimK

JimK

Steph-
    This thread got me a-listening to Rio for the first time in...?
    Here ya go-
    "Save A Prayer"
    Intro/Verses
    /D_.A_.G_Gb/F_.F_.C_.B/Bb_.Bb_.F_.F#/G_.GF_.F/

/D_.A_.G_Gb/F_.F_.C_.B/Bb_.Bb_.A_.A/G_.GxCFC/

...later,
    /D_.F#_.G_.A/F_.A_.A#_.B/Bb_.Bb_.A_.A/G_.GxCFC/

etc.

Chorus
    /B____B.B/D____D.D/G____G.G/F#__F#A_.A/

That should be enough to get ya goin'.
    BTW, did my Ads beat your Pens 2-nite?
  13. rickbass

burcaw- No, I never gave it a thought. I saw the video, which showed Taylor with this "drape cord thing" hanging of the head of his bass, (for damping???)

But I figured it was just studio editing when the bass goes from deep "WHOMP!" of the verses & choruses into slapping and popping on the break. Never dawned on me it might be another bassist. I have the album but never checked the credits.
  14. bearclaw

bearclaw

Dear Rick,

Interesting isn't it? Bernard Edwards goes uncredited on the album. I have the 30 minute video on the making of the Power Station record. It displays Bernard and John sitting together in the control room discussing the punch part.

Bernard slaps the line, and JT uses a picked/muted rhythm behind him. I was bummed when I saw this, but it happens all too often I suppose.
  15. rickbass

Getting paid is good. Getting paid and some props is better. To wit, some people seem more impressed by the fact I've done some tracks for TV commercials than they do about live gigs! :rolleyes:
  16. stephanie

stephanie

Hey, thanks Jim for showing me some of the song. I can happily say I have the intro down pretty much and a bit of the chorus. :)

Eh?
  17. JimK

JimK

Steph-
    ...NOT a hockey fan, eh? From what I've heard, a ticket to a W-B/Scranton Penguins' game is a hot commodity(all home games are "sold out").
    Anyway, as it turned out, your W-B/Scranton Penguins beat my Norfolk Admirals on Sat nite.
  18. Starrchild

Starrchild

nard was a BIG influence on jt.i think they call it melodic.
  19. Moonraker

Moonraker

I'm quite a fan of JT , he could play some great basslines that were melodic and upfront you could always hear his playing nice and clearly. I mostly like the early Duran Duran stuff though. I dont know much about his solo stuff. Is he still good singing and playing bass at the same time? I cant imagine 'Rio' or 'Hungry like the wolf' being easy to play at the same time as singing. Bernard White blatantly had an influence on JT you can hear it in his sound. A lot of 80's pop music had some alright bass players. Remember Spandau Ballet? the guy who played bass for them is an actor in East enders.
  20. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

burcaw hw probably used a foot petal! He was famous for using hes old foot petals!
  21. Harry Lime

Harry Lime

Those of you experienced bass players, what are your opinions on John Taylor of Duran Duran? I grew up in the 80's so I've always liked Duran Duran. I don't care what people say about the 80's, yeah there was a lot of trash, but Duran Duran had some great songs. Anyway, I was just curious to how Taylor is perceived in the electric bass world... Thanks.