1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

John Wetton Tribute P-Bass Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vinnydbass, Aug 15, 2013.

1. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

So, I'm a huge King Crimson fan and my favourite lineups are the ones with John Wetton. That rhythm section was a beast. Anyway, I really dug the P-bass Mr. Wetton was using before he had it refinished, and decided to make one similar in looks. The bass I'm referring to can be seen in this video:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The specs:

Warmoth Alder Body finished with Tru-Oil
    CIJ '62 reissue neck
    Pickguardian Pickguard
    Fender Original Precision Pickups
    Reissue bridge
    Flying Saucer Knobs (I can't believe I actually found them)
  2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

3. bigou

bigou

Nice bass and good to have a Wetton fan on the board.
  4. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Awesome!

Just saw Asia 4 times here in Connecticut in the last few years.

Still awesome.

Infinity Hall in Norfolk CT is the collest place, no matter where you sit you its like having the band play in your living room while you sit on the couch!

Wetton and the guys were unbelievable for the Omega tour!!!

Good work!!!
  5. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Wetton rips!

I gotta still do a little bit of setup on the nut, but afterwards, I'll get a video up. Sounds good, still a little hard to play. Its sounds pretty aggressive, but I haven't heard it through my gigging rig yet.
  6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I like it. Are you going to call it "The Fire Witch"? Just kidding... The dark board looks very nice. The flying saucer knobs remind me of stove/oven control knobs. You can really turn up the heat, huh? ;)
  7. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Yea man, I looked for them all over the place just for this build to look like Wetton's. I even google searched for "oven" knobs. I ended up finding them at a flea market getting rid of electronic parts. They even fit solid shaft pots.
  8. Duckwater

Duckwater

Awesome bass and awesome video, King Crimson is amazing.
  9. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

That is mega! I need to check out Pickguardian. It is difficult to find a decent '70's red tort guard. Is that tort or pearloid?
    Nice job!
  10. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Yup, its tort. Pickguardian is what I would recommend if you want red-ish tort. Its a little darker in person, but definately the nicest tort ive seen.
  11. 9mmMike

I have this 1970 with '72 neck that was going this way but now I am planning on having JohnK put a nice burst finish on it.

[​IMG]

That is paint peeking out around the bottom of the control cavity. The body is actually fairly unmolested aside from the strip.

I have another bass in natural but not alder. Now I am second guessing my plans!

Again, that is a real nice job you did there. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Attached Files:

12. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Nice bass man, JohnK does some serious refinishes as I've seen on this forum. I'm sure whatever you choose will be cool.
  13. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Totally cool! I'm in agreement with you, the Wetton era of Crimson was my favorite too. Wetton was so cool back then, his bass tone was like a giant brontosaurus squashing listeners like bugs!!! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Not to be a contrarian, but I liked the look of his bass better after he re-painted it white, as seen here!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rnaPoIv1Q
  14. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Amazing! Really cool major gas now! I perfer lake era kc but wetton is still awsome! Hope u enjoy!
  15. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

That's awesome! Wetton Crimson is my fave period for them. Just mind blowingly good.

Nice work sir.
  16. 9mmMike

Anyone know what year bass JW was using in Crimson? I am talking about the one that inspired this thread.
  17. 9mmMike

OP, Is this your video on youtube?

18. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Yup, that is indeed my video. The bass in question was used during Wetton's entire tenure with Crimson, but it was refinished in 1974, from what I gather, to a pickguard-less white finish with a metal plate over the controls. It was the colour scheme I attempted to copy from 72-73 era Crimson. Also, I believe Wetton himself mentioned that it was a 1961 P-bass that he bought quite cheaply from a pawn shop (don't quote me on that, i'm not exactly sure)
  19. 9mmMike

Wow. Older than I thought. I had assumed it was an early 70's model.

Oh, and nice vid!

Thanks!
  20. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Yup, definitely an early 60's model. 3/4" nut and reverse tuners.