1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Johnny Football

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SirMjac28, Jan 4, 2013.

1. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Another score goodnight sweet Oklahoma

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

And it's over Johnny Football the new Tim Tebow

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Very impressive performance by A&M and exposure of Oklahoma. He has a couple more years playing college football too!

4. SirMjac28

I love it and it seems to me Oklahoma can't seem to win these big games

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Stupidest nickname ever.

7. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

+1 He will have to change it to Johnny Sidelines or Johnny Benchwarmer ones he hits the pros.

8. SirMjac28

He will have to develop that arm because he will not be running like that in the pros I think he has a shot at being a really good NFL QB

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

as much as i love Johnny Football, i think the Pro's will destroy this kid. the NFL ain't college!!!;)

will he be drafted?,... of course!
    will he start?,... perhaps!
    will he excel?,.. look at "Russell, last name Wilson"!!!

but,.. that running around will be his undoing. (RGIII is finding this out)

10. Big B.

Big B.

He's just a freshman. Perhaps its a bit early to start judging his NFL career today.

11. SirMjac28

Russell almost broke the rookie passing yards he could have but ran the ball even though a pass play was called and led that team to the playoffs ditto for RGIII both of those guys only use those legs when they have to both have incredible arms and they both are playoff bound.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Manzeil will definitely be drafted high. Don't discount him, because at this stage he reminds me of both RG III and Mike Vick. There is a place for a highly mobile QB in the pro game, and there always has been for the unusual athlete who can make it work. I hope he gets out of college healthy, but in the meantime A&M is going to win a LOT of games.

I earned my PhD at A&M - I have some heartburn with many things about that institution, but I like to see them play football well. It's important to them.

13. DigMe

DigMe

GIG 'EM! What a great season for us! Just give the kid some credit. He earned a Heisman and has been the real deal all season long. Who gives a crap about NFL right now?! The kid just finished his freshman season. That's like leaning over to some guy at a high school game who is celebrating his kid's touchdown and going, "Meh, he'll never go anywhere." Just negative trashing. What's the point when he has accomplished so much?

People have doubted every move all year long and he and the Ags have consistently proven all doubts wrong. There has been a lot of crow eaten this year as it is.

bc

14. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

I knew when Kevin Sumlin was hired he'd be able to turn things around (he was great at Houston) but I didn't think he'd be able to turn things around so quickly!

15. SirMjac28

College football is all about the quarterback one great QB can turn any program around. Hey Pilgrim did you go undergrad at WSU? and what's up with A&M don't be shy

16. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Sumlin turned Houston from one of the worst Division 1 teams ever to a highly ranked team with not too much talent (and without him, they totally suck again). Let's not forget A&M was the laughing stock of the Big 12, and nobody expected them to even be in the conversation during their first SEC year.

Football is a team sport - JM had an amazing season, but he wasn't the one putting Landry Jones into the ground last night.

17. SirMjac28

+1 On that I agree but without Johnny they don't win as many games I think he definitely deserved the Heisman this year most college defenses are average at best especially in the secondary that's why you have such high scores in college and lop sided victories without Johnny last night A&M loses that game 8 out of 10 times.

18. papilgee4evaeva

papilgee4evaeva

I assure you that the bolded above is nowhere near close to true.

Maybe you meant passing TDs? He tied Peyton Manning's record with that.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I grew up in Pullman, my dad taught at WSU for more than 30 years, I have a Bachelor's and Master's from WSU, was on faculty there for five years, and I'm a Past President of the alumni association. All my siblings went to WSU, and my wife and all her siblings went to WSU.

So when my license plate ring says "I bleed Crimson" it ain't kidding.

A&M is a different place culturally. As a friend of mine said "First there's the south, then there's Texas, and THEN there's A&M." People don't just go to school there, they become part of a way of life there. It makes my hard-core WSU Coug dedication look like a passing fancy.

The two best ways to fit in at A&M are to be a native-born Texan, or to have served in the military. I have neither of those qualifications, and was never "in place" culturally.

The best known saying at A&M is 'Highway 6 runs both ways". That refers to the main road going through town and it means that if you don't like the way A&M does things, you should get the hell out. I finished my degree and did just that.

20. SirMjac28

Cool I agree I think Texas is the only State that could leave the Union and be happy

21. SirMjac28

My bad yes sir I'm really happy for that kid