1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Joining third band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lwknives, Jan 4, 2013.

1. lwknives

lwknives

I am auditioning for a third band (I am currently in an originals blues/rock band and a church band).
    It is a covers band that does mostly classic/southern rock, country (yuck:crying:) and R&B. About half of the songs they sent me for the audition will take 10 min to learn, easy, and the rest wont be to hard. They said they play out 1 or two times a week and rehears once a week.
    I am mostly wanting to join to make some extra money, I get my artistic outlet from the original band (which doesnt have any gigs set up yet).
    What kind of problems have yall run into when playing in two bands? How do you go about rectifying schedule conflicts?
  2. carl h.

carl h.

Money gets the priority, a gig trumps a rehearsal.

If a group has no prospects for a gig, they are pretty low on the list.
  3. lwknives

lwknives

In my case the original band will usually trump the cover band.
  4. carl h.

carl h.

Be sure to tell them this at the audition.
  5. bluewine

bluewine

Gig conflicts, however if your other band is an originals band it shouldn't be a problem.

Blue
  6. denhou1974

denhou1974

I would disagree. I don't think it's any of their business what I do on my time.

That being said, your cover band schedule needs to trump your originals band's since they are paying you. If you have too many unavailable dates for the cover band then they will replace you.
  7. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

No problems so far, but I handle most bookings as well. You should be good as long as the other members know ahead of time when you will be busy with the other band(s).
  8. lwknives

lwknives

Of course,
    I dont think there will be to much conflict because the originals band isnt wanting to gig out every weekend. Im hoping that we can schedule so I dont have to miss a gig in either band.
  9. carl h.

carl h.

If there is flexibility with your originals group you shouldn't have a problem.

When people sign on the line, it gets real.
  10. lwknives

lwknives

If I cant do both I will quite the cover band in favor of the originals band.
  11. denhou1974

denhou1974

Only you can decide if you can do both. I play in a cover band and I sub for 3-4 other cover bands and I make it work. But cover band 1 takes priority, I schedule everything else around them.
  12. zenman

zenman

They gig 1-2X's a week AND rehearse once a week? What's up with that?
  13. carl h.

carl h.

I'm in 7 different bands and they all knew this when I was hired and all know who gets priority. As do the shows (musicals) know who gets me on a moments notice.

They know this when they ask me to join and are prepared to deal with the consequences. If they aren't, I don't do the gig.
  14. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

A) How serious is the originals band?
    B) How bad do you need the money?
  15. lwknives

lwknives

Maybe they like playing together, IDK.
  16. lwknives

lwknives

The original band is not likely to be very profitable, but the music is good. We are wanting to gig once a month or so. I am more interested in the originals band than the covers band.
    I dont particularly need the money from the cover band, I could work more hours at my job, but would rather play in the band. Plus I will learn a lot of popular songs and that will make it easyer to sub in other bands down the road.
  17. lwknives

lwknives

So just open communication is the most important thing I guess.
  18. carl h.

carl h.

yes

No surprises. Hiring a bassist who can't play on Saturday night is a deal breaker to some...
  19. bluewine

bluewine

So your not in this for money or gigging? Are you looking to to become famous with your originals band?

Blue
  20. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

blue, you're slipping.

You've already posted twice and haven't asked the OP's age.