1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Joining top wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by frianbisher, Nov 16, 2012.

1. frianbisher

frianbisher

Hi,

I just received some nice flamed maple to glue onto the alder body blank I bought and need some ideas. As I expected, the two top pieces won't be able to be joined together without some work. In the past I would just hit them with a belt sander so they will glue up nicely but I don't have one and I don't know anyone who does.

Any ideas about how I can do this on the cheap? Maybe glue sandpaper to something long and straight and do it by hand? I haven't built anything for a year and I'm a bit rusty and tool-less.

Thanks
  2. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

If you have a router you could use a straight piece of wood as a fence and srraighten it out
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

How far off are they? If not too far, fold a piece of coarse grit sandpaper in half and put it in between the pieces - then you can sand them against each other.
  4. frianbisher

frianbisher

I like this idea....the gap is about 3/32nd so it might take a while though.
  5. Beej

Beej

I think I picked up the idea on this forum, but I just did this today. I clamped the two top pieces to a flat piece of sacrificial plywood, and then ran straight down the middle seam with a 1/4" flat bit in a router, and it gave me a perfectly clean and straight matched surface on both sides. Only works if you're willing to lose at least 1/8" of top width...
  6. Konquest

Konquest

Match both sides in the bookmatched pattern, and clamp it on a dead flat surface and use a bearing guided bit to trim it flush. Then with the top still clamped after the routing stage, hit it with some sandpaper on a solid backing. While you are doing this, save for a jointer. Owning a jointer and lunchbox planer opens up a whole new world of woodworking...