1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

JonPaul bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by mlz77096, Aug 25, 2011.

1. mlz77096

mlz77096

I've been trying out German bows and now have two for consideration both stamped Jean-Paul Martin. I gather these are by JonPaul Bows. Both are pernambuco and weigh about 129.5g which is good for me. Also the frog is slightly smaller than the other bows I've tried and really fits my hand nicely. I can't find out much about the company or how good the bows are for the price. These two have engraved silver on them including a cap at the tip. Cost is $500. Any comments ? I'd like to have some idea as to their quality and reputation.
  2. Ben Mitchell

Ben Mitchell

Jean-paul martin was a small company from europe (not exactly sure where) that made bows, they are now out of business. It is very hard to tell from looking, but quality shows whether it is actually made by jean-paul himself, or whether it is a shop bow. From what I have seen, 500 dollars is a pretty darn good price for one. I paid 1200 for my french, although it is extremely high quality. The way I acquired mine was that a guy sold 10 of these bows to a local shop. The story goes that the company did not have any money to pay their employees their last checks, so they paid them in bows.
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

4. Ben Mitchell

Ben Mitchell

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

I don't know if this confuses the issue, but: (it was on the Conn-Selmer website: http://accessories.conn-selmer.com/jonpaul.php)

About JonPaul Bows

JonPaul Bows is run by three regular guys who just happen to have a passion for bows. Jon Hatch, Paul Prier and Martin Prier have over 30 years of combined bow-making experience. Since 1997, these brothers and brother-in-law, have worked together with a team of craftsmen to develop carbon-fiber composite bows good enough to outshine traditional wood bows. By combining traditional French models with hightech materials, JonPaul Bows has raised a new standard in the industry for playability and aesthetics. At the same time, their bows are durable enough to stand up to the hazards of orchestra pits. Truly, JonPaul Bows are the best of both worlds: old-world craftsmanship and new-world technology.

Despite their successful line of professional-quality composite bows, these guys were not content to rest on their laurels. Holding to their same standards of excellence, and after extensive development and research, the JonPaul team is excited to add to their line-up a variety of new bows for every budget. These bows are higher in quality than anything else on the market, and they feature a great diversity of materials, including: pernambuco, ip�, brazilwood and carbon fiber. Please examine this catalog to learn about our exceptional line up. They are grouped together into three categories: beginning players (blue), advancing players (purple), and performing players (orange).
  6. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin

I played with a german bow today that the shop owner said was jean paul (or jon paul) I dont know. Any way, it was pernambuco. Really nice. The wood was so dense I first thought it was carbon or fiberglass. It certainly drew a nice tone.
  7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

They seem to be interested in making a quality product at a good price (and even in the US for some of it!!). They're going to get back to me about their Ipe and Fusion (cf + pernumbucco) bows later in the fall.

Louis
  8. mlz77096

mlz77096

I had friends listen to the bows and one definitely had an incredible sound. Two professionals checked it out and deemed it a really nice bow. When they saw the price the recommendation was, "Buy it." Now I'm the proud owner of a top quality pernambuco bow made for JonPaul bows. I love watching the wood grain in the bow as I play. Between player, bass and bow, I know sound problems aren't the bow. One friend of mine suggested, it probable isn't the bass thus leaving only me - oh, dear! I'm new to arco , but have a teacher and am trying hard.
  9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Can I ask what the price range was for their bow?

Thanks

Louis
  10. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin

Pretty sure the one I tried was 800. I don't know the weight but I didn't notice it being especially light so I at the price range I'd audition some Tom Owen bows while considering these.
  11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Thanks!

Louis
  12. mlz77096

mlz77096

I paid $500 for my bow, and I think it was very good deal. Even the store noted that they had been made a good deal and passed it on. Jonpaul bows confirmed that it was a model they had made at times. They don't show pernumbuco on their website now. Weight 129.5g
  13. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

One of my stand partners fell in love with my Glasser Braided Carbon fiber bow, which I had been using in the opera pit (It's an excellent cf bow in the $4-500 range, that, like Rodney Dangerfield, doesn't get enough respect, probably because we all remember those awful plastic Glasser bows in school).

Anyway, I sold him the bow and bought a Jon Paul Martin bow from Bill Hoffman at Hoffman Strings via Ebay (https://hoffmannstringsltd.com/home.html; Elizabeth at the Quantum Bass center in Houston also sells them, but she had only French bows when I checked: http://www.quantumbasscenter.com)

Bill was very helpful and sent a 125 gr German bow (the JPM6 model) for me to try, and I have to say it's as good as a couple of $2K bows I have.

The wood is lovely, good frog, nice hair; good bounce and full tone - all for less that $800. A good value (and one that I'm not going to let anyone in the section try!!)

Certainly a brand to consider in the under $1K price tag.

Louis