Joyo American Sound pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shirojiro, Feb 14, 2014.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Hi everyone,

Is anyone using the Joyo American Sound pedal with bass guitar? It's supposed to be similar to the Tech21 Blonde pedal as a Fender amp simulator.

http://joyoaudio.com/en/product/show_110.html

I got sucked into the Joyo effects bandwagon and couldn't resist trying a couple out since they're so inexpensive. I've been looking for a better overdrive than my Ibanez Phat Hed (PD-7, I think), so I picked up the American Sound pedal as well as their Ultimate Drive.

I tried them both out last night with my band. My setup was MM SR5 into DoD Milkbox compressor --> Boss OC-2 Octave--> Joyo Ultimate Drive--> Joyo American SOund out to our Mixing board and headphone amp. I'm using Grado 60 headphones that are a little bass shy, but pretty transparent otherwise.

I usually use a SABDDI, and have been fooling around with a Tech21 Red Ripper, but haven't really found exactly what I want. I was hoping for a bit more edge with a little less scoop than the BDDI. FWIW, I never run the Blend on the BDDI more than 1:00 on the dial, and I'm judicious with the bass and treble knobs.

At any rate, I didn't get to spend a ton of time dialing in my tone, but while I found the tone shaping of the EQ on the American Sound pleasing to the ear, I found the distortion to be a little harsh and fizzy. I left the drive between 9:00 and 12:00. The Voice control is a little hard to describe, and I suspect that I'm not using it properly, but it seems to be a mid shift of some sort. I think that this knob may the culprit, but I can't tell yet.

Anyone else out there have any hints or tips with this pedal?

I know that it's inexpensive Chinese stuff, but it's surprisingly nice. The tone shaping is great, and the look and feel of the case, knobs and switch are excellent. The one niggle is that the 9v input jack is recessed too far for some of my fatter plugs to fit.

I wonder how much of this is my inability to dial in a good overdrive tone. I've tried many, and the closest I get is with my SABDDI. I was hoping to find a different kind of crunch with this pedal.

Thanks for reading!

2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You may be better off tone shaping with the American and leave the drive up to the UD.

4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shirojiro

shirojiro

Thanks! I didn't realize how many others are using the same pedal for bass guitar.