Joyo brand pedals same as Harley Benton brand by Thomann (Europe)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Dec 19, 2013.

1. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

2. crguti

crguti

It's the same sh*t. Avoid it.

3. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

Based on experience I assume?

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    HB and Joyo = exactly the same pedals.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The price of these latest budget pedals is quite something, can you even DIY at this cost?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    HB is the "house label" of Thomann.de and they put that brand on all kinds of Chinese generic goods (including Joyo).

8. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    nope.

9. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

You guys agree that they suck?

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldn't say they suck in general, some of them like the Ultimate Drive have quite a following on TB.

11. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

12. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

Are they as good as Digitech? Similar price range.

13. ChopperDave

Really? They're about 1/2 or 1/3 of the Digitech prices I've seen--in the US, anyway, can't speak for Europe.

I'd guess that the Digitechs are better pedals overall, but I can't say with certainty. I'm letting price and reputation inform that statement.

14. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

The Digitech pedals all cost ~40€, the HB ones 30€. I'm asking because all my effect needs are covered with Digitech Chorus, Hardwire Tube OD, Behringer Sansamp clone and Behringer DC9 Compressor. All cheap pedals with the Hardwire beeing a bit more expensive. I would only get one of those HB pedals if you guys said they're killer for the price.

15. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, for the price of them (and often for 3X-4X the price or more) you can't possibly do better.

16. mcnach

mcnach

Not at all.
    I don't think any of them are absolutely amazing, but a few are quite cool. The Ultimate Drive is very nice on both bass and guitar. The Vintage Overdrive loses a bit of bottom end on bass, unfortunately, but it sounds nice, and on guitar is very good.

17. ChopperDave

^ yup, that. Though, with the tone and drive all the way down and with fingers I get a nice, hairy bit-o-tone without any noticable low-end loss. Picking is where you can start to hear the loss, but I still think it's somewhat negligible (again, with the tone and drive all the way down).

So, while it is excellent on guitar, I still like it on bass, but I have an Ultimate Drive waiting under the tree for me to compare. I'll post a shootout eventually.

OP: I had the Hardwire Tube Overdrive, too, but kept the Joyo Vintage Overdrive and sold the Hardwire. That's not a knock on the Hardwire; I just needed cash and the resale on the Hardwires is much better than the Joyos, I think. So, that's something to take into consideration.

Sounds like you have your needs met; however, if you decide to add a compressor to the chain, consider Joyo's Dynamic Compressor--and excellent take on the MXR DynaComp.

18. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I got a compressor, the Behringer DC9 which is also a clone of the MXR I think :D Bongomania stated in this review that it's quite alright for the price.

So I got what I need basically but I might get a OD and Compressor/Chorus anyways. Not sure about the OD though. I got the Behringer Bass BDI21 (Sansamp clone), Bad Monkey from Digitech and the CM-2 from Hardwire for low gain OD and the Bass Driver from Digitech for some highter gain stuff or fuzz. Might look into the Ultimate drive. Would you say the Vintage overdrive is better than the Bad Monkey?

19. ChopperDave

I've actually never tried a Bad Monkey, but the online demos didn't do much for me. I've also never played a lot of the really popular ones here, like the Darkglass B3K/B7K, Pork Loin, etc., so take my opinion with an appropriate amount of salt.

20. mcnach

mcnach

I had a Bad Monkey. It's not too different from the Vintage drive. I prefer the Vintage Drive, but mostly on guitar. The bottom end loss on bass is not something that I cannot live with, but I have other pedals that do the job better.
    The Ultimate Drive is a more different sound (actually it covers both low gain and higher gain sounds, so I find it more versatile).

21. dune2k

dune2k

First of, I own a HB Ultimate Drive, Vintage Overdrive and Digitech Bad Monkey. So I can compare them side by side.
    The Vintage Overdrive is a Tubescreamer (TS808/909). So it will loose bottom and highs while boosting the mids. If you like it that's fine, but in 2013 there are better overdrives around for use with bass.

The Bad Monkey also is a sort of Tubescreamer but it has a 2-Band-EQ, so when tuned to E-Standard you can use it on Bass withouth loosing too much lows. It's OK, but on guitar the Vintage OD wins for the typical TS applications and for use as a bass OD/dist. I prefer the Ultimate Drive.