Joyo pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joeynone, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Joeynone

Joeynone Supporting Member

I am new to TB as a supporting member. I am also laughed at (playfully) by the rest of my band for my pedal hoarding. I am a drive junkie and I keep reading about these super cheap Joyo drives. Are they really as good as everyone says and how do they muster up in a band similar to Muse, U2, 30 Seconds To Mars? Which would you suggest I try in this genre?
  2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Gonna tell you tomorrow, I will pick one up tonight.
    I always thought muse was more a Fuzz thing ?!
  3. Joeynone

Well yes they are, but mostly Matt Bellamy. chris does have a tone of wooly bass fuzz tones but he also used a lot of drives. Right now I use a Fulltone Bass Drive MOSFET and a Source Audio Bass OFD. I am always trying to explore more options
  4. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. adamaarts

adamaarts Previously stinky634 Supporting Member

I have had 2 so far and the sound is great, price is even better.

However I just don't have the trust that they will last forever, I read a lot about shabby internals and it's always going to be on the back of my mind that it could go out any day.

Seriously though, for 30 bucks just get one.
  7. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Search for 'the official joyo club: attack of the clones'.... pretty sure thats the name of thread. it goes over quite a few of the pedals in detail with some sound clips.

the general consensus is the ultimate drive and the American are the best... in fact i ordered and american off the back of that thread :)
  8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

my ultimate octave sounded muffled and it was poorly made, hopefully they have stepped up the qc in the last few years
  9. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I'm digging the Ultimate Drive a lot. I use it set for slight overdrive. My guitarist really likes the Vintage Overdrive, too.
  10. Joeynone

I guess for $30change you can't lose. Thanks all! I'm taking suggestions!
  11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I recently tried out the Ultimate Drive, swapping it in for my TS9 which I run in a parallel loop to a clean signal.

Honestly, I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two, highs were maybe a little clearer on the tube screamer, but 90% of the tones I could get from one I could get from the other.

At $30 vs the TS9's $100, if I was setting up a board for the first time I'd see no reason to buy anything else. But if you've already got a nice OD that you like, this one's probably not gonna replace it.
  12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, a TS9 sounds nothing like an ultimate drive. myTS9 has no low end and a muffled top end by comparison. the UD is really more like a slightly bassier version of an OCD.
  13. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Funny to come across this thread - I just ordered one (Ultimate Drive) this afternoon off Amazon. I wasn't even looking for this pedal, had never heard of this one before. But, I have been on the hunt for a nice overdrive for my pedalboard - my Zoom B3 has some decent overdrives, but I know I could probably do better in the way of a dedicated, outboard OD on my board.

That said, somehow I stumbled upon this pedal and so after reading quite a few reviews, some investigating into the back story of this pedal and a couple of YouTube videos later - I ordered one. The videos & the tone of the pedal in those videos cinched it for me - ordered one on the spot. The reviews are fantastic on this pedal & from what I've seen & heard, this sounds fantastic on bass guitar as well. The price makes it a no brainer to at least try - I have the suspicion that I will be enjoying mine very much!
  14. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

UD is one sick drive pedal. I'm love mine. Sold my $180 "boutique" drive once I received my UD
  15. spaz21387

spaz21387

I have the ultimate drive and for the price its great. I had an 808 spec modded tubescreamer and the ultimate drive blew it away. The tube screamer was too much of a high boost with no lows.
  16. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    I got the UD yesterday. I had no chance to check it out personally but the guy who sold it to me gave me some introduction on his guitar. Just a LP through the UD, a bit of delay and into his Egnater tube head. Damn it, what a nice overdrive! Thick tone, thick as syrup and just as sticky.
    Gonna try it tonight - but I guess, since I have no room on my pedalboard currently, I will have our guitarist check it out since he has some sound troubles lately
  17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Again, I was AB'ing the two with a clean blend. So while admittedly some of the distinctive character of each may have been covered up, so was the TS9's otherwise marked low end dropoff. What did stand out in that context was the TS9's harshness, which the UD lacked, but in a mix even that kind of disappeared.
  18. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody gives me anything
    The UD is a great pedal, but there is one thing to be wary of... it is NOT true bypass like all the other Joyos. It uses some variant of a millennium bypass which, according to someone hopefully smarter than me, was implemented wrong. So it won't let signal through the pedal without power (on or off). For most people this doesn't seem to cause much in the way of problems, but I ran into a small hitch. For whatever reason, when i plug in my ultimate drive it introduces noise into my signal chain, whether on or off. Apparently another guy on here had the same issue. We both happen to use a Jazz bass, so I don't know if it has something to do with how the Jazz pups & UD interact, or if it's pure coincidence.

Don't let that scare you away, we're the only two I know of who have had issues. Everyone else seems to love the thing, and it does make a great sound. Like everyone else says, for the cost, how can you go wrong?
  19. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    That was a stupid idea, because now I got rid of my UD.
    I tested it for 5 minutes yesterday and it sounds plain awesome. Yet I have trouble finding a good output level. With level too low the pedal tends to cut off low-end. From level at noon this effect is gone, but the output level is way higher than the bypassed output level. That's a bit of a bummer.
    Since I have no room on my board yet, I gave it to my guitarist who experiences problems with his overdriven sound. He gets all gain from the pre-amp of his marshall head and is unable to add some delay or reverb because there is no FX loop on this head. So I asked him to use this pedal, followed by the reverb into the LOW input of his head.
    INSTANT sound! Everything at noon and here we go! Haven't seen that guy so happy sound-wise since a long time ;-)

No I have to order another one
  20. mangtas

mangtas

anybody using the Joyo Dyna Compressor?any thoughts?Im planning on getting one. tnx :)
  21. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a copy of the MXR Dynacomp, which is not great for bass.